Small kana input. Question to Windows users
  • I've been thinking about romaji to kana conversion lately and have been upgrading the algorithm used in Denshi Jisho.

However, I have hit upon a problem where I could use some input since I'm not a Windows user.

To write small kana, you can use both "xa" and "la" for ぁ in Windows. How common is the "la" usage? On macs typing "la" will produce ら, which I think is more consistent.

Do most Windows users use the "la" for small kana convention? Or is this simply an obscure input convention? A quick web search seems to indicate that this is commonly known, which makes me wonder if I should change the Denshi Jisho behavior to reflect this.
  • Hej Kim,

based on my use both la and xa are known. See also http://www.sljfaq.org/html/ms_ime.html for an overview. The IME 2007 is similar still.
    So given both exist (just like on my Canon Wordtank) I cannot say whether one is preferred over the other.

Also in UIM both la and xa are available. I think you should just support both. Makes typing easier, at times I find myself typing la and then follow up with xo since it allows you to use both hands instead of two finger in rapid succession of one hand.
  • Personally I've never even once used l to make a small kana.. but then again, I found out recently it's even possible so I don't know how others do it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion