Anyone know a good katakana mnemonics chart?
  • I used this one to learn Hiragana, it made it much easier to memorize them.
    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~if2n-szk/gif_1/mnemonics.jpg

Does anyone know a similar one for Hiragana?
    I couldn't find any.
  • I'm not into pmneumonics but most of the katakana look similar to the corresponding hiragana, so associating the katakana with hiragana should make it easier.
  • I wouldn't say "most." I would only say カ,キ,ヘ,モ,ヤ,リ look like their corresponding hiragana, セ,ラ,コ,ノ,メ,ウ are really quite a stretch, and I'd struggle to see similarities of any other. There are also ニ(ni) which is a fake as it looks like こ(ko).
  • Perhaps you should interpret "similar" artistically. Often the katakana look like just a part of the hiragana, for example セ looks like せ but written with just 2 strokes instead of 3. ノ, メ and ケ also like like part of の、 め and け. ニ also is part of に, and コ looks similar to こ, even if ニ also looks like こ.

Most of the katakana and hiragana (31/46) are taken from the same Chinese character:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Comparison_of_hiragana_and_katakana_derivations

Though it is true not all of the katakana look like the corresponding hiragana, I still recommend you try to associate the katakana with the hiragana.
  • Being "artistic" is a luxury of someone who's already mastered it. See from a beginner's point of view - it won't be "wow cool ケ and け looks like 計" (orly? Well, I suppose so if you ignore that the both kana has 2 vertical strokes while the kanji has 1 and the 4 way intersection in 計 has disintegrated to 1 in ケ but not け). It'll be more like "FVCK ケク セヒ, フウワ, ラヲ, ンソ, シツ."

BTW, you wouldn't say your hand looks like your head would you? Resembling and being a part of the same whole are 2 different things. In any case, you should have already mastered at least how write kana by the time you get to kanji.

[quote=tamatama]Though it is true not all of the katakana look like the corresponding hiragana, I still recommend you try to associate the katakana with the hiragana.[/quote] I maintain that most katakana don't, but associate them you must. It's not like you have a choice if you're going to be learn written Japanese.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion