Denshi Jisho Improvement Suggestions
  • There might be an older thread of this, but I'd like to make a few suggestions and I'm sure other people may as well.
    This may range from small things such as radicals that aren't listed to new search feature ideas.

Personally, I like denshi jisho the best out of all jisho sites I've encountered.
    The first suggestion i'd like to add to the list is for the kanji section to be able to parse full words.
  • If you click "Kanji details" underneath the definitions it will show you the kanji info for all the characters in the word.
  • HANDWRITING KANJI!!! like here:

http://japanese.nciku.com/
  • My only suggestions would be:

-Make the dictionary selection drop box automatically go back to General if it was automatically switched to Names and Places or something else upon finding no results

-Allow searching by word type (noun, verb etc.)
  • I'd back that first suggestion from Louis. The way the dictionary switches right now is a bit unhelpful.
  • @giantpandarobot, I'm not sure what you mean by "kanji section to be able to parse full words". But as @nate said, you get can kanji details through the link on each word entry.

@jackchak, noted. It's tricky, but definitely would be nice to have.

@louis @richard, yes, true. I'll design this a bit better in the next version.

The next version will also allows searching by word type.
  • I think all the handwriting inputs in online dictionaries are just for show. Most of the time you have to watch out for stroke order and count and the results are disappointing. Nothing can rival the Microsoft IME Pad or OS X input with magic trackpad drawing.

@Kim So when will this new version be ready?
  • I know it's a free dictionary, so maybe it's something to put up with, but I find moving adverts very distracting if I'm studying.
  • I personally don't mind most of the ads, but I was put off by the JapanCupid ad saying "Date Sexy Japanese Women."
  • Here's another suggestion/comment: I looked up ばかり/ばっかり after reading someone's question and clicked on "examples," but it only searches the examples with the obsolete kanji 許(り), and hence it gives nothing useful. Addressing this could be helpful for some people.

Also, it might be nice to link alternate spellings such as ばかり and ばっかり, though I don't know if that's possible/feasible using edict.
  • I think all the handwriting inputs in online dictionaries are just for show. Most of the time you have to watch out for stroke order and count and the results are disappointing. Nothing can rival the Microsoft IME Pad or OS X input with magic trackpad drawing.

I don't know very many handwriting inputs but this one: http://kanji.sljfaq.org/draw-canvas.html is able to ignore the stroke counts if you switch on the button which says "Look ahead". Unfortunately only 25% of users use that feature, since it is off by default.

It's also possible to point it to jisho.org using the options page:

http://kanji.sljfaq.org/option.html

This again is an option rather than the default. I don't record how many people use it and I'm not sure how many people are even aware of it.
  • I must second Louis's suggestion. It would be immensely useful to allow us to add a filter for "word type" (part of speech: noun, verb, adjective, etc.) to the search criteria. For example, I'd like to be able to see a list of all verbs (and only verbs) whose English definition contains the string, "beyond". You'd need such a filter to accomplish this.
  • @TE_Form, this has been implemented for the next version. It will allow you to search like this: "tag: verb beyond"
  • Hi,Sorry for going a bit off topic I'm fairly new to this forum (browsing for about 3 hours now) and I've been having some looks at the japanese language for about a year or two now. (on and off improving my skills (close to none (笑))
    Just wanted to say it's a shame that I haven't come across this site earlier :O.
    Also feel like saying many thanks to the admins and the people that are helping to make this site even better, threads like these are what joys my heart.
  • Yes, big thanks for this website, it's amazing and helps a lot with learning the language.

My suggestion is:

Create account system, where You can follow Your own progress, and for example - when looking up the sample sentences, display only the ones with all the kanjis You already checked as learnt. This would help when You learn a kanji by writing sentences including that kanji.

Also implementing kanji recognition system would be great, like in Obenkyo app, so I can input with my mouse or drawing tablet and check if it's done the right way.

I know it may be a great challange, buy hey, it's just a suggestion :)
  • Hi Kim and co. and thanks for a great dictionary.

nigoru 濁る has another meaning listed under 'kanji' but not in 'words'
    (oto ga) nigoru: to become a voiced sound (濁音になる)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion