What does this literally translate to?
  • わかっていないな. 先が読める勝負などに何かを賭ける価値などない.

Wakatte inai na. Saki ga yomeru shobu nado ni nani ka o kakeru kachi nado nai.
  • わかっていないな.
    Wakatte inai na.
    Lit: Not know/understand, eh?
    Trans: Could be either "You don't know/don't get it huh?" said somewhat sarcastically, or "I dunno" as with a shrug. Most likely the former.

先が読める勝負などに何かを賭ける価値などない
    Saki ga yomeru shobu nado ni nani ka o kakeru kachi nado nai
    Lit: Before, a(t a) reading contest (or the like); something to bet had no merit (or the like).
    Trans: (At the) previous reading "contest", there was no point/worth betting anything.

I believe this means together "Don't you get it? There was no point "betting" at the previous reading contest, because it was of such little significance." Or that nobody stood to lose anything, such as reputation. It was "small beans". It was unimportant, etc.

The parenthetic "or the like" is for the "など", another reading would be "etc." It downplays the significance of what immediately proceeded it, being flippant.

Context is very important to Japanese translation, so setting the scene would help.
  • I would guess that this means

(You?) don't get it. There's no value to betting something on a contest you know the result of in advance.

But it's made more difficult without any context.
  • I see. But if you want some context, here it is:
  • watch?v=bp5fli4SlCU. Just add youtube.com/ to the beginning of that.
  • Oh, it's Kingdom Hearts. Given the context, I agree with louis:
    "You don't get it. There's no value to betting something on a contest you know the result of in advance."
  • Ok that helps. I assume this is one of the Kingdom Hearts (which I've not played), but unless there is actually something called a 'reading contest', I would now translate it to as louis has, with the 'reading' being the *results* of the contest, so 'knowing' them.
  • I would guess a reading contest would be called something like 読書コンテスト。It seems they do have them, e.g.,

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/k/yubin-cont/
  • "Ok that helps. I assume this is one of the Kingdom Hearts (which I've not played), but unless there is actually something called a 'reading contest', I would now translate it to as louis has, with the 'reading' being the *results* of the contest, so 'knowing' them."

先が読める is where that comes from. 先 here means future, ahead etc., so a 先が読める勝負 is a contest where you can see what's ahead, i.e. you know what's going to happen.
  • Yes, thank you. It occurred to me that it could be something of a set phrase after your answer, since the 'ga' seemed out of place. But now I know.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion