Using 々 in a name?
  • I have been researching name translations for my son as I would like to get his name tattooed in Kanji along with my other two childrens' names. In Japanese his name is Iisan (Ethan) and I have not so much had a problem in getting the right Kanji but have come across the fact that sometimes I find it with the repeater symbol 々 and sometimes just with 2 Kanji and the second I has been totally left out.

Since this will be a permanemt thing I want to get it right so just wondering if 々 should be included 偉々燦 or if it should just be 偉燦.
  • Must be a coincidence that 粲 is read いい and 燦 is サン. Just pointing that out for the comedic value. Hah.

It would say Isan instead of IIsan without the 々. Maybe you should find another kanji with the reading "i" instead of using the iteration mark.
  • "Must be a coincidence that 粲 is read いい and 燦 is サン. Just pointing that out for the comedic value. Hah."

Wow, that is quite the coincidence. If I was called Ethan I'd probably use 粲燦, heh
  • Hmm, looking that up it is cool, if I am getting what you mean, lol. Am I also right in understanding that 粲燦 would cover the double I and would read Iisan?
  • Why don't you get it tattooed in Hebrew or Roman? Particularly if your son doesn't have kanji for his name. If you want to give him kanji, you can make kanji sound however you want in names. I would suggesting thinking about something like 耐 which actually means something close to what Ethan means. (There are probably better choices, I haven't thought hard.) Or give him a Japanese name.
  • There are a couple of reason I was choosing Japanese, 1. he is learning Japanese at school and so will my other two when they start school, 2. it fits in with the cherry blossoms I was aslo incorpirating and 3. Kanji seem to be more compact than most other translations since I am not wanting to over do it in the tattoo department.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)
  • "Am I also right in understanding that 粲燦 would cover the double I and would read Iisan?"

Yes, 粲 is read "ii". However, it's a very rare kanji and not used in everyday usage, at least not in Japan; don't know about China/Taiwan. You also couldn't register it as an official name in Japan, because 粲 is not an official name kanji, nor regular use kanji.
  • Would something like 偉意燦 be more accurate then?

Thanks everyone for the help btw.
  • Well, in this situation you're kind of making up the rules as you go along, so it's difficult to talk about what would be accurate. As I mentioned before there is no standard way of writing Ethan using kanji. Having had a quick look on the net, the version I think is best is on this page:
    http://www.jmode.com/kanji/kanji_top5name.html
    偉唯賛
    I think it's best because it seems to have had some input from Japanese people. I say this because some of the English translations look a bit odd (usually a good sign that someone Japanese is involved).
    As it's an aesthetic choice, it's very difficult for non-native speakers to have a feel for what would be best. For instance, 偉意燦 might be OK, but it might look thoroughly weird to a Japanese person.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion