Confused about the meaning of "ki ni naru"
  • How do I translate this for example?

何がそんなに気になるのか,野球をやっては楽しそうなジョンさん。

I also don't understand why the sentence isn't ending with "no ka", if it's supposed to be a question, and "no ka" appears in the middle of the sentence.
  • Japanese is pretty difficult to translate without missing the meaning, so this is going to be a rough translation.

「気になる」 could mean “to be worried” or “to be excited”. In this case, it would mean “to be excited”.

「何がそんなに気になるのか」roughly translates to “how could (someone) become that excited?”

「野球をやっては楽しそうなジョンさん」means “John is happy when he wins at baseball.”

All together it means “How could anybody become as excited as John when he wins at baseball?”

Since the first and second halves of the sentence are interchangeable, the のか part would make more sense of it were written 「野球をやっては楽しそうなジョンさん何がそんなに気になるのか」. But, since it’s still grammatically correct to switch the two halves, it is acceptable in its original form as well.
  • Thank you so much for the answer! I understood now. I never found that kind of question switch in anything I read before so it was very very confusing.
  • It doesn't actually say that he wins at baseball. A better translation for the whole sentence would be "What would make you so excited as John who looks happy playing baseball".
  • Actually, the likely meaning of this sentence is 'Why are you so worried about John's playing baseball when he looks so happy doing it?' Or possibly, the person is talking to John who is worried himself about baseball. The sentence out of context is hard to translate. Also, I think the second part of the sentence is grammatically incorrect.
  • Could you provide some more context? As you can see from people's varying interpretations, things like this are difficult to translate in isolation.
  • I checked with two different Japanese people - one said it was a grammatically incorrect sentence, the other one said it was ok. As they're not grammarians, they're probably judging the sentence on how it sounds, which is awkward. Both however said that they couldn't sure of the meaning without seeing the sentence in context.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion