"Japanese Discussion!"
  • How do I correctly write, with kana and kanji and everything of course, "only japanese" or "japanese discussions" or something for a forum thread that is supposed to be only in japanese?

And how do I write a little description in japanese that says "Discuss whatever you want, but only in japanese" or something like that? :)
  • Posted By: Rukishou
    [p]How do I correctly write, with kana and kanji and everything of course, "only japanese" or "japanese discussions" or something for a forum thread that is supposed to be only in japanese?[/p][p]And how do I write a little description in japanese that says "Discuss whatever you want, but only in japanese" or something like that? :)[/p][span class=CommentSignature]~Fumoffu! 世界にようこそ[/span]

Maybe something like this?

Title: 日本語で話そう
    Description: 話題は何でもいいけど、日本語以外の言語は禁止です

Litteral translations:
    Title: Let's speak japanese
    Description: Any subject/topic is okey, but any language other than japanese is forbidden
  • Posted By: Tobberoth
    [quote]
    Posted By: Rukishou
    [p]How do I correctly write, with kana and kanji and everything of course, "only japanese" or "japanese discussions" or something for a forum thread that is supposed to be only in japanese?[/p][p]And how do I write a little description in japanese that says "Discuss whatever you want, but only in japanese" or something like that? :)[/p][p][span class=CommentSignature]~Fumoffu! 世界にようこそ[/span][/p]
    [p]Maybe something like this?[/p][p]Title: 日本語で話そう
    Description: 話題は何でもいいけど、日本語以外の言語は禁止です[/p][p]Litteral translations:
    Title: Let's speak japanese
    Description: Any subject/topic is okey, but any language other than japanese is forbidden[/p][/quote]

Technically I don't see anything wrong with what Tobberoth wrote, but I would probably say 日本語のみでお願いします as 禁止 seems kind of harsh.
  • Is this an idea to have a Japanese only discussion thread on this forum? Might be a good idea.
  • If you look in Categories, there is already a 日本語 forum. Maybe not enough people know about it.
  • I guess maybe it feels unnatural to start a Japanese discussion when then are no native speakers. On a related note, has anyone ever taken part in Japanese forums where most people contributing are native speakers? Never tried it myself.
  • Posted By: Richard
    [p]I guess maybe it feels unnatural to start a Japanese discussion when then are no native speakers. On a related note, has anyone ever taken part in Japanese forums where most people contributing are native speakers? Never tried it myself.[/p]
    '

I have posted some on 2ch, but it feels so extremely impersonal since it's all anonymous. I've been thinking about joining some mixi.jp groups maybe.
  • Hm... someone should start a post where all is written in kana/kanji, but with the romaji equivalents. It would be a good way to practice and fully understand.
  • Posted By: Hajiru
    [p]Hm... someone should start a post where all is written in kana/kanji, but with the romaji equivalents. It would be a good way to practice and fully understand.[/p]

With rikaichan and peraperakun, writing romaji to explain japanese is slowly becoming redundant.
  • I hadn't heard of peraperakun but it's an add-on for firefox if anyone else doesn't know it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3343

After I installed it I also had to install the dictionary (stage 2) on the rikaichan page:

http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/

Seems pretty useful, I guess though slightly distracting. Still, as it's quicker than cutting and pasting into Denshi Jisho I'll probably find myself using it.

On the other hand, if you don't know hiragana and you want to know pronunciation it's not going to help. Might be an incentive to learn hiragana...
  • Posted By: Richard
    [p]I hadn't heard of peraperakun but it's an add-on for firefox if anyone else doesn't know it:[/p][p]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3343[/p][p]After I installed it I also had to install the dictionary (stage 2) on the rikaichan page:[/p][p]http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/[/p][p]Seems pretty useful, I guess though slightly distracting. Still, as it's quicker than cutting and pasting into Denshi Jisho I'll probably find myself using it.[/p][p]On the other hand, if you don't know hiragana and you want to know pronunciation it's not going to help. Might be an incentive to learn hiragana...[/p]

Perapera-kun (or Rikaichan, the programs are basically identical) are extremely useful for anyone studying or wanting to read japanese. Obviously, you have to actually know japanese to have serious use off it and anyone studying japanese SHOULD know hiragana.. But indeed, if you simply wish for a romaji version of a kanji-ridden text and don't know any japanese, you're out of luck... Maybe there's a site which is able to do such conversions?
  • 日本語で話すの?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion