Feature requests
  • I thought I'd post my requests here but then again I guess other people might have some too so I guess you're all free to post whatever request (for DJ) you have.

Ok here's mine:

* official online page for kanji-crippled phones
    * regexp-ish search ability. I guess there is a bit of it in there already, but it's not documented and if I try something funny it just bombs out. I think this wouldn't affect usability because it would really be invisible, and just there if you read the documentation well enough. :-)

That's all for now...
  • This may be out of the question, but I would sure love to be able to look up meanings in Japanese. Is there an Edict equivalent for a 国語辞典?
  • Posted By: Jonny
    * official online page for kanji-crippled phones

That is probably not so hard to do, and something I'd like to have. However I'd prefer it if everyone just used iPhones :)

Posted By: Jonny
    * regexp-ish search ability. I guess there is a bit of it in there already, but it's not documented and if I try something funny it just bombs out. I think this wouldn't affect usability because it would really be invisible, and just there if you read the documentation well enough. :-)

This I'm not sure how useful it would be as the current wild cards cover most search cases. Can you provide a specific example of something you would like to be able to search for with regexps? The problem with them is that they can be very slow, and it would be a lot of work for a potentially not very used feature.

Posted By: tacomanator
    This may be out of the question, but I would sure love to be able to look up meanings in Japanese. Is there an Edict equivalent for a 国語辞典?

I would like that as well, but as far as I know there is no such dictionary data freely available.
  • Well, the wildcards are surely enough, but are they documented anywhere? I actually can't remember what I did to make it bomb out, but I used to arrive at a page which said something like "page unavailable"... maybe it's fixed.

And people aren't gonna get iPhone with that pricing, until that stuff becomes more available we can just dream...
  • The wildcards are documentet, but I am aware that it is at a less than obvious place. If you go to the word search by clicking the menu, that is without searching, you will have a small documentation text below the search area. But since most users come to the word search by doing a search on the front page they never see this text. I am aware of the problem and intend to do something about it.

For completeness, here is the small blurb on wildcards: Use the wildcards * (zero or more characters) and ? (exactly one character).
  • While I find Denshi Jisho almost feature complete, I sometimes miss stroke order diagrams or the like when I am looking up new kanji. I have no idea if it is even possible to add such a feature though.
  • I just remembered something.

A way to search by codes.
    Example: Like you could enter the code for adjective, then enter a kanji, and then get all the adjectives using this kanji.
  • This is not exactly a feature, more like a suggestion (didn't feel like making a new thread about it): How about promoting the Forums a little bit more on the index page? Maybe on the "Welcome" paragraph :)
  • Jonny: Yes, that is a good idea. It was actually possible way back in an earlier version, but the code was ugly and incomplete. I intend to add that feature again when I finally get around to using JMdict instead of EDICT.

YuanHao: Definitely a good idea! I have been ridiculously busy with life since I launched the forum so I haven't been able to give the forum the love is deserves. I'll try to get to it as soon as possible.
  • When in search page both japanese and english fields are filled it tries to search for both simultaneusly. This doesn't make sense. Yet it happens because search field doesn't get cleared (which is good when you want to elaborate your search or just fix a typo) but it requires an extra click on Reset when you just want to do reverse search. Perhaps it'd be better when the system would either search only by the last active field (separate forms with default submit actions?) or automatically clear the old field entry on activating the other field. Personally I feel that just entering the word and hitting enter should submit only that particular field and not both.
  • It makes sense if you want to be able to make very specific searches, like search for all English words containing "rice" where the kanji contains "米" or something similar. This is what I inteded it for in the beginning, but I agree that this is not the way it is used in most cases. So changing the default behaviour is probably a good idea. However, I would rather consolidate the two boxes into one, and intelligently parse it to see if the user is searching for only one language or both English and Japanese, but this will screw up automatic romaji detection in some instances, and I haven't toyed anything with it in order to come up with a good compromise yet, but it's on my todo-list.
  • Hi there. I just stumbled upon this site, a great resource!
    That said, I just noticed that the search box is actually case-sensitive...which meant I was unable to find many words when I just started out, before I realized this. So to my point, an option for making the search case-insensitive would be nice, and especially helpful when copying and pasting from elsewhere. :)
    Keep up the great work!
  • Posted By: Brutulf
    [p]Hi there. I just stumbled upon this site, a great resource!
    That said, I just noticed that the search box is actually case-sensitive...which meant I was unable to find many words when I just started out, before I realized this. So to my point, an option for making the search case-insensitive would be nice, and especially helpful when copying and pasting from elsewhere. :)
    Keep up the great work![/p]

Japanese input engines are always case-sensitive. It makes no sense to make it case-insensitive.
  • I presume here that you mean kana-sensitive, since English search is case-insensitive.

Denshi Jisho searches are only case-sensitive for katakana. When searching for hiragana you will also find katakana. So when searching for romaji, you should only use lower-case letters, since upper-case will become katakana.
  • Sorry, I should have specified. I only know latin characters, so I referred to romaji search on japanese words. I guess what I'm wanting for is an "ignore uppercase" -checkbox, if that's possible. :-)
    [p]Sorry, I should have specified. I only know latin characters, so I referred to romaji search on japanese words. I guess what I'm wanting for is an "ignore uppercase" -checkbox, if that's possible. :-)[/p]

Why, simply write in all lowecase... Do you have any reason for using caps?
  • As mentioned, it's handy when copying/pasting from other sources, where not everything is in lowercase. No big deals, just makes it potentially a wee bit quicker, as you don't have to "fix" the first letter if it's capitalized.
    [p]As mentioned, it's handy when copying/pasting from other sources, where not everything is in lowercase. No big deals, just makes it potentially a wee bit quicker, as you don't have to "fix" the first letter if it's capitalized.[/p]

Hmm I've never run into that problem, probably because I only copy-paste real japanese into jisho.org, not romaji...
  • What I would love to see on jisho, is the verb conjugation charts that are avaliable on the wwwjdic site. It's the only reason I ever visit wwwjdic nowadays.
  • Posted By: Joel
    [p]What I would love to see on jisho, is the verb conjugation charts that are avaliable on the wwwjdic site. It's the only reason I ever visit wwwjdic nowadays.[/p]

Perhaps not a bad idea, but it would probably be more work than it is worth right now. I've got more interesting things in the works ;)
  • I'd like to see a software with these features:

* probably using Java
    * to be used in mobile devices (phones)
    * has an offline copy of edict (or any other dictionary, but edict is a good start)
    * ability to update the above dictionaries through a one click button
    * has a killer interface ;-)

The offline dictionary feature would be good because Docomo charges per bit (and I guess many other phone companies do as well) and a dictionary easily fits into the memory cards of our days. Also when on a train without 電波 the dictionary would still be usable.
  • Hey Gang! Hajimemashite.

Sorry to bug you all, but I'm at my wits' end.

Many of my Japanese American friends are about as Kanji illiterate as I am, and many don't even speak Nihongo.

Yet genealogy continues to grow as the most popular hobby around.

I volunteer at a Family History Center, and was helping a friend trace his roots when I stumbled onto the problem.

His American ancestors were easy to find. But each time we crossed the pond (so to speak), the trail went cold.

Not hard to figure out why. There may be plenty of Kenji Nakamuras here in the US. but there is no such person in Japan.

Are you kidding me? A Romanized Japanese name in a phone book, death certificate, grave yard, etc??? Not very likely, and I'm not just talking about Hepburn Romaji vs. some other flavor.

If Denshi Jiten can be integrated into Firefox or Safari, then what about the search window of sites like Gencircles, World Vital Records, or Ancestry.com?

I'm no programmer, so I have no idea what this would take.

Seems to me the ideal way to do this would be to create the appropriate name associations. Sort of like Soundex, Metophone, and NameX.

You search for somebody with the surname Ito. You get results back with all the romanized variations. Itoh, Itoo, Itou, etc. You also get back any relevant hits in Kanji.

Any ideas how a non-Japanese speaker could search for his Japanese roots online?
  • Posted By: dpihl
    [p]Hey Gang! Hajimemashite.[/p][p]Sorry to bug you all, but I'm at my wits' end.[/p][p]Many of my Japanese American friends are about as Kanji illiterate as I am, and many don't even speak Nihongo.[/p][p]Yet genealogy continues to grow as the most popular hobby around.[/p][p]I volunteer at a Family History Center, and was helping a friend trace his roots when I stumbled onto the problem.[/p][p]His American ancestors were easy to find. But each time we crossed the pond (so to speak), the trail went cold.[/p][p]Not hard to figure out why. There may be plenty of Kenji Nakamuras here in the US. but there is no such person in Japan.[/p][p]Are you kidding me? A Romanized Japanese name in a phone book, death certificate, grave yard, etc??? Not very likely, and I'm not just talking about Hepburn Romaji vs. some other flavor.[/p][p]If Denshi Jiten can be integrated into Firefox or Safari, then what about the search window of sites like Gencircles, World Vital Records, or Ancestry.com?[/p][p]I'm no programmer, so I have no idea what this would take.[/p][p]Seems to me the ideal way to do this would be to create the appropriate name associations. Sort of like Soundex, Metophone, and NameX.[/p][p]You search for somebody with the surname Ito. You get results back with all the romanized variations. Itoh, Itoo, Itou, etc. You also get back any relevant hits in Kanji.[/p][p]Any ideas how a non-Japanese speaker could search for his Japanese roots online?[/p]

Basically you want a search engine that searches all romaji standards for a certain word? So if you input Internet Hepburn (Itou) you would get Standard Hepburn (Itō)?

While I certainly see the usefulness from an academic perspective, I doubt there's incentive enough to make a site aimed at this goal. First of all, there's only two big romaji standards (hepburn and nihon-shiki) so there's usually no reason to search since it's easy to know both. Second, most people on a decent level of japanese (the people who would use the site mainly) very rarely use romaji.
  • Not quite sure what the question is. There seem to be two specific questions.

1: How do you find the kanji for romanised names like 'Nakamura'?
    2: How do you find non-standard romanisations for Japanese names (eg, Itoh, Itoo, Itou)?

Well, first of all, Denshi Jisho doesn't have names in at all, unless they happen to be words as well, so I don't see how it could be helpful for either of these questions.

But for question 1, I'd go to Wikipedia, look up Nakamura and find the kanji straight away. 中村

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakamura_(surname)

If it's not on the English page then switch to the Japanese page, or click on someone famous. For example, the Matsui page doesn't have kanji, but Hideki Matsui does.

Finding Kenji is going to be more of a problem. Most Japanese given names can be written in lots of different ways. Go to Wikipedia, click on some of the Kenji's and you'll find some variations: 賢二, 健二, 賢治, 健司, 憲次, 健次, 健児, 健志. Might look overwhelming at first, but you'll see some patterns there.

How exactly are you searching 'across the pond' if you don't mind me asking? Presumably not only on the internet if you're kanji illiterate.

Question 2 I can't help you with at all. Wouldn't it be better to contact some of the people at Japanese American genealogy sites? There are some links here which look pretty active:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Garage/4464/Links1.html
  • Posted By: Richard
    [p]first of all, Denshi Jisho doesn't have names in at all[/p]

Remember, Denshi Jisho has an included Names dictionary, which does just this (Find all the different variations in kanji of a name).
  • OK, I look a bit thick now.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions and your requests for clarification.

A simple web page containing all Kanji and Romaji variants for a single name in itself is bound to be helpful.

After all, it is a starting place. You can then try to memorize the Kanji associated with your surname (assuming Japanese ancestry).

You always start by actively searching the major Genealogy web sites. Thanks for the extra links Richard.

Simple cut and paste routines would allow you to populate the "advanced search" windows over at Ancestry.com, Familysearch.org and so forth.

Now that facebook supports Japanese, it probably makes sense to post a Kanji/Kana version of your full name on the facebook app called "We're Related". You never know who you might hear from.

As for the very thoughtful question about what one does with the results page if they are all rendered in Japanese, I have a few thoughts.

You might find a fully assembled pedigree going back to emperor Jimmu. Not very likely, but one can always hope. Even the smallish pedigrees you find would be worth looking at. With enamdict you can Romanize the chart one name at a time.

Secondly, there are a few genealogy utilities that build pedigrees using automation. GenSmarts is a fer instance.

If you can provide such an engine with a few basic clues, there may be a whole bunch of useful data in the results window.

Searching for Kenji Nakamura may be of limited use, just as searching for John Smith gives you waaay too many potential hits.

But if you tell the search engine that John Smith is married to Hepsubah Hoffenpoffer, every result you see will probably be relevant.

By the same token, there may be plenty of Kenji Nakamuras out there, but significantly fewer of them who are married to Yumiko Satoh.

If you enter Yumiko's details and also the fact that Kenji's father's name is Tomo, you narrow your results even further. Add a birth year to the equation if you have one. Add marriage details or anything else you have at your finger tips.

Eventually you'll narrow your results down to one or two possible Kanji Nakamura/ Yumiko Satoh combinations.

Post the details you dig up on GenCircles, OneGreatFamilyTree, Ancestry.com, or other collaborative genealogy sites. You never know who you might come along and graft entire branches into your family tree.

One might well ask where one finds marriage and birth information for somebody if one cannot read Japanese.

Whichever ancestor emigrated is bound to have left vital records with agencies on both sides of the ocean. Birth records would be held in Japan presumably. Death records are probably had somewhere in the country where the person died.

An ideal scenario might be finding a census record. Kenji would be listed as the head of household, and Yumiko would also be listed in the same household. Both ages would be recorded, and the country of their birth. Sometimes a parent's name is listed, or a mother's surname, or other details about previous generations. Often the number of years married is listed.

Sometimes you can find the ships manifest, which contains many of these same bits of information.

The more you know about the American side of the family, the more likely it is for a machine to automatically calculate the rest.
  • Nevertheless, you'll run into problems.

It was a common practice for families on the losing side of battles to burn all registers of their family name and assume a more common name, which made tracing that particular family difficult (since quite often the entire family was put to death).
  • http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

Just noticed the wwwjdic has added enamdict to the list of available dictionaries.
    This solves my problem.
    Now if only I could remember which results are surnames, which results are male forenames, etc.?
  • Hi and thanks for the site Kim. Very well done.
    I though would like to make one feature request:
    Sometimes I'd like to see both the kana _and_ romaji versions of a vocabulary
    instead of the kana romaji alone. So maybe you could add a button like "show both"...

However, great site. Thanks again.
  • If Kim has the time and willpower to improve jisho.org a ton, he could take quite a few idea from the awesome Mandarin dictionary nciku.com.

Handwriting recognition of characters? Sure.
    Text-to-Speech for all examples sentences and most words? Indeed.

Very nice stuff, a lot of it.
  • kai: Unfortunately that is a bit too much work for a feature that I don't think would be used much. There are lot's of resources out there for looking up romaji for kana already.

Tobberoth: Definitely. nciku.com, the odd name aside, are doing a lot of nice things that I'd like to copy on jisho.org. But most of my time is spent on iknow.co.jp nowadays, so the jisho.org development isn't going as fast as I'd like.
  • Posted By: Kim
    iknow.co.jp

Just signed up there. Nice stuff, just wondering if you considered doing iPhone/iPod Touch apps? I would love to take something like that around with me to study/keep up on the train.
  • Cool, glad you signed up. I'm http://www.iknow.co.jp/users/kim on iKnow!

We definitely want to do an official iPhone app, but are focusing on other things right now.

But external developers are already using our API (http://developer.iknow.co.jp) to create iPhone/iPod Touch applications for iKnow!. We recently held a developer competition in connection with launching the API, and two of the four winners were iPhone based, one web app and one native app. The only drawback to these external applications at this point is that we don't allow them to save study data yet, so you can use them to review your lists, but it won't count towards your progress on the iKnow! site. Although we are working hard to have that functionality in place soon.

http://apps.technohippy.net/iknow3g/settings is the web app and http://blog.bakarakuda.com/novita/ is the native app.

You can read more about them on our Japanese blog here: http://www.iknow.co.jp/blog/ja/2009/2/6/131225-iknow

Our English blog doesn't have the announcement of the winners, but it does have a Ustream of the event: http://www.iknow.co.jp/blog/en/2009/2/2/129782-tonight-s-iknow-developer-meetup
  • I know this isn't a feature requests in its own sense, but is it really true that Edict doesn't have the word "例外"?
    Or is it a bug of jisho.org? A golden exception, I guess X-D
  • Posted By: Jonny
    [p]I know this isn't a feature requests in its own sense, but is it really true that Edict doesn't have the word "例外"?
    Or is it a bug of jisho.org? A golden exception, I guess X-D[/p]

Sure it does, I just searched for it and found it.
  • Would be nice if you can add jlpt information for kanji
  • First, I'd like to say that I stumbled across this site about a month or two ago, and I love it! I've lately begun trying to improve my vocabulary—or, okay, get my manga fix earlier—by reading manga in Japanese, so I've been using the site almost constantly of late. As a web developer, I especially appreciate the attractive, thoughtful and eminently usable interface. Great job!

My suggestion is for the kanji-by-radical lookup portion of the iPhone version of the site: I'd love to see some kind of reset control like there is for the regular site. It's a bit difficult to find all the radicals you've selected if they're far apart from each other.

Thanks and keep up the great work!
  • I'd like the multi-radical search to be more like this one:

http://kanji.sljfaq.org/mr.html

It's simply too bothersome to read through all the bushu for some of the stroke counts because there's SO many.
  • The ability to exclude things in searches.

Sometimes you just get WAY too many hits on a word lookup with tons of obviously totally irrelevent hits simply because the word you looked up happens to be used in the definition. For example, look up "other" and you get 515 hits. Fine if what you want is on the first page or so, but what if the one you want is on page 16?

The same applies to the "sentences" search feature... Look for sentences with 単に and you get a lot of sentences with 簡単に, which is totally differant.

The ability to exclude things from the results would help immensely in cases where you get too many false positives.
  • Posted By: Daemon
    [p]The ability to exclude things in searches.[/p][p]Sometimes you just get WAY too many hits on a word lookup with tons of obviously totally irrelevent hits simply because the word you looked up happens to be used in the definition. For example, look up "other" and you get 515 hits. Fine if what you want is on the first page or so, but what if the one you want is on page 16?[/p][p]The same applies to the "sentences" search feature... Look for sentences with 単に and you get a lot of sentences with 簡単に, which is totally differant.[/p][p]The ability to exclude things from the results would help immensely in cases where you get too many false positives.[/p]

That's a really good idea, we definitely need this!
  • wwwjdic has added audio, real Japanese speakers who say the words. This service is provided by japanesepod101.com so I'm guessing it's not free for anyone to use, but it might be an idea to look it up since such a feature is awesome.
  • My suggestion is for the kanji-by-radical lookup portion of the iPhone version of the site: I'd love to see some kind of reset control like there is for the regular site. It's a bit difficult to find all the radicals you've selected if they're far apart from each other.

Tapping on the "By Radicals" menu item will reset the radicals.

I'd like the multi-radical search to be more like this one:

http://kanji.sljfaq.org/mr.html

I remember playing with a similar idea when I first made jisho.org. But I can't remember why I didn't go with it :)

I like the idea though, and see no reason not to include it in a future version.

The ability to exclude things in searches.

You zeroed in on the two kinds of searches that jisho.org doesn't do very well, and that I'd like to improve on, searching for English and the sentence search in general. They aren't simple problems to solve though, without increasing backend complexity significantly. Not that that is an excuse for not doing it, so I'll see what I can do.

wwwjdic has added audio, real Japanese speakers who say the words. This service is provided by japanesepod101.com so I'm guessing it's not free for anyone to use, but it might be an idea to look it up since such a feature is awesome.

In the future I am aiming for tight integration with smart.fm and will be able to pull in audio for words that I can accurately determine are the same on both sites.

Keep the ideas coming!
  • I think it would be good to have the ability to search by word type (noun, adjective, etc.).

For example, I could search for "mean" and get

卑劣
    平均

or I could search for "mean [n]" (or select using check boxes) and just get

平均

Or for example, if I want to know the transitive version of the verb which begins with 開, I'd search for

"開 [v-t]" (or something) and just get

開ける
  • Posted By: louis
    [p]I think it would be good to have the ability to search by word type (noun, adjective, etc.).[/p][p]For example, I could search for "mean" and get[/p][p]卑劣
    平均[/p][p]or I could search for "mean [n]" (or select using check boxes) and just get[/p][p]平均[/p][p]Or for example, if I want to know the transitive version of the verb which begins with 開, I'd search for[/p][p]"開 [v-t]" (or something) and just get[/p][p]開ける[/p]

This is a good suggestion, and definitely something I want to do In The Next Version(tm)

I'm also competing with Duke Nukem Forever on when to release it, so look for it Any Day Now(tm)
  • Hi Everyone,
    I've been using Denshi Jisho for a few months as my primary online dictionary, its definitely the best I know of, I was so happy with it I donated :)

I have some suggestions, I have no idea how much work these are:

Forum:
    How about either making this thread a sticky or starting a new Feature Request Sticky thread. This thread is getting further back in the listing and seems to be the main feature request list.

Online:
    On the main site, if you enter a word in the kanji section you get an error. For a long time I thought the site kept going down but it was just this bug.

iPhone:
    I just bought one (second hand of course) to try switching from my Zaurus. First impressions of the two available dictionaries "Japanese" and "Kotoba" are not as good as I hoped, Kotoba seems to be the better one and is free. Getting access to Denshi Jisho via WiFi seems to be the best feature so far. On the Denshi Jisho iPhone site, the "Dictionary Indices" are left out. This makes sense because if you're using Denshi Jisho iPhone and not the main site you are probably moving around without your books available. However I use my iPhone / Zaurus to study Japanese in other rooms of my home or outside where I might have my books available. Is it possible to add an option to "show Dictionary Indices"? Finally, showing the English Spanish and Portuguese translations on the iPhone site seems like taking up a lot of screen space for something most people will only want to see one translation for. Maybe a setting where you set your language?

Hope that's helpful. Surprisingly, Denshi Jisho seems to be faster over WiFi than the two above mentioned dictionaries downloaded to the handset.
  • Posted By: edwinbradford
    [p]First impressions of the two available dictionaries "Japanese" and "Kotoba" are not as good as I hoped, Kotoba seems to be the better one and is free.[/p]

Personally I've been really happy overall with Japanese, but development stalled on it, or at least it seems considering they're nearly 6 months past when they were planning to release the next version. I would like to see a Denshi Jisho app made up now, I'm sure you guys could do a great job. Kotoba is slow as hell but I really disagree about Japanese being slow, it's very very fast on mine, decoding HTML definitely takes longer hence why a downloadable app would be awesome.
  • Japanese confused the hell out of me for a while as to why it wouldn't bring up words in searches that it clearly had in its index. Then I realised that they've made it so that long vowels (e.g. おう) are counted as just being normal vowels (お), and searching with the う won't find it. I guess they thought it would be helpful...

They also need sentences and dictionary indices... basically it just needs to be Denshi Jisho in app form. The mobile version of the site is great but Wi-Fi isn't always available.

The nice thing Japanese does have which I'd love it if Denshi Jisho had is stroke order animations. Saves me having to have two sites open when studying. :P
  • (Is there a way to switch on automatic email notification of replies in this forum?)

Try this test, tap the search field of Japanese and see how long it takes for the keyboard to come up, for me it takes a couple of secs on OS 3.0. If I do the same thing in Denshi Jisho its always instantaneous. It may be that its a fault of the OS and not Japanese but it still makes Denshi Jisho significantly faster. Also, do you not find that sometimes the scrolling within Japanese and Kotoba stutters and jumps? It never does in Denshi Jisho.

I was thinking of putting together a list of the functions I'd like to see in a good Japanese dictionary and mailing it to each developer but it would take a while. Japanese definitely looks the coolest in terms of initial presentation but I'm inclined to agree with the article below that all the dictionaries have some features lacking which is not surprising for a new platform. Incidentally Kotoba does have Dictionary Indices which is a bonus. The best dictionary appears to be a little known one called iDic http://elephantgorilla.blogspot.com/2009/03/idic-best-japanese-dictionary-for.html

I say appears because I've only had it running briefly and now it just crashes which I put down to not being OS 3.0 compatible, I've mailed the developers. Its developed by a Japanese company, not Western developers unlike Kotoba and Japanese, and loads EPWING format dictionaries, some of you might suddenly sit up if you've used them before. Unlike Japanese and Kotoba, iDic is a dictionary reader, the dictionary files are loaded separately so you can add what ever dictionaries you like and have them searched in your preferred order. I agree with everything the author of the above post writes, I used to have EPWING dictionaries on my Zaurus and loaded them in the order Kanjidict > Edict > Examples. Any search you do returns results in that order, he explains why that's a good thing. Once you reach JLPT 1 you could add EIJIRO too, I'm studying for JLPT 2 and I hardly need it.

The presentation isn't as impressive as Japanese but from my brief hands on it appears to be much more practical. If anyone can get it working let us know, you can get it in the App store then follow the instructions from the above site. I know I installed it correctly because it worked briefly, it supports all kinds of searches, start of text, end of text, middle of text, looked really impressive. By the way don't mistakenly purchase iDict, I don't know what that is but it comes up first in the App store search, the one you want is iDic, its something like $5.

[Edit] I can't consistently reproduce keyboard speed differences between Denshi Jisho and the other two apps so maybe there is no major difference. It might be the first time you launch the program it's slow but its cached after that, Safari always seems fast though.
  • Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having trouble with the search and want to request a feature.

How about a search option for exact match? I'm trying to find all the kanji that have り as a reading, but I keep getting りょう, りょく, りゅう, etc. It would be nice to have some way to indicate that you want no characters before and/or no characters after. I know that it was mentioned that regular expressions would slow things down, but some way to have the functionality of ^り$ would be awesome.
  • If you want to do that, just type り, press the space bar and look at the list.

As for searching, it lists the results with no characters after them first. So you can just look at the top of the results page.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion