none (ない and なし)
  • Both can mean "none/nothing" in the noun sense, right? I see both of them being used to answer questions so I'm curious about their usage. Are they interchangeable in situations like "what's is your favorite ____", or are they used (to mean "none") in different situations?

Also, is "nothing in particular" just 特になし, or is there another word for it?
  • Nothing in particular can also be 別に何もない, but I'm not sure what the difference between that and 特になし is.

As for your first question, I've no idea. :/ I'd like to know myself.
  • なし roughly means "without," which is different grammatically than ない "does not exist". See the definitions and example sentences in this dictionary for example. In some special cases like 特にない、特になし (answering "what's your favorite ____?") you can use either, but they are not generally interchangeable.
  • Thank you both for your help! (:

Posted By: tamatama
    [p]なし roughly means "without," which is different grammatically than ない "does not exist". See the definitions and example sentences in this dictionary for example.[/p]

I know that they're different because of the way they're normally used (in a sentence, not by themselves), but I've seen both them used for questions like "what's your favorite ____?" on Japanese blogs/sites, so I'm pretty sure they can be used to mean "none" or "nothing" by themselves.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion