How would you wirte the plural of 友達(tomodachi) ?
  • I have only been studying japanese for about 6 months, and I need to know how to write "tomodachi" as a plural, and I think adding "tachi" to the end is incorrect. Could someone clarify?

どもありがとございます!
  • "tachi" as a noun suffix designates a group that you are part of, identified by the noun.

友達たち, "my friends and I"

私たち, "us" (meaning you and your group, whoever they are)

Japanese has no pluralization word-wise (linguists, is there a term for this?) Like all nouns, 友達 is "pluralized" by: quantitative (5, 2, etc.) or qualitative (some, most, etc.) amount, or implicit understanding by the people you are talking with. Unless you have referred to a specific friend of yours, the person with whom you are communicating will probably assume you are referring to your friends in general.

Anyone have links handy to a web page or other resource that can go more in depth about Japanese pluralization?
  • You can also pluralize with ~ら.
  • There are many ways to pluralize in Japanese, it's just not needed and only used in special situations.

Some ways to pluralize:
    Use たち suffix
    Use ら suffix
    Use ども suffix
    Use がた suffix
    Double the word as in 人々 and 島々
    Use chinese prefix 多 (多文化、多言語)
    use chinese prefix 諸 (諸大学、諸政党)
  • I stand mega-corrected. I am copying and pasting your post, Tobberoth, so I can learn this, too. :D Thanks for the info!
  • ら is only used with informal pronouns like 俺, 僕, あたし, お前, etc. It's mostly derogatory, so there aren't really many practical uses for it.
  • http://eow.alc.co.jp/彼ら/UTF-8/

One example, but I was not taught that ~ら was either derogatory or restricted in use. Informal yes, but that's all.
  • That's a good question. I wonder why I never thought of it.

It case it wasn't clear from the responses above, you can think of ともだち as being both singular and plural (as well as most nouns). From what I found, initially, ともだち (or ともたち) was the plural of とも, but then it came to mean "friend" in the singular or plural. It seems some Japanese actually do say ともだちたち, though I haven't heard it much, and I don't know if it's "officially" correct.
  • It would be strange ...

達:
    「たち」, standalone => 「だち」,following noun

友 (とも) + 達 (だち) + 達 (たち).

友達々?

No, that is way too strange.
  • So you guys are chatting back and forth in kana, and are way too busy to tell me how you do it?

This is a cold, cold forum.
  • Posted By: alcaray
    [p]So you guys are chatting back and forth in kana, and are way too busy to tell me how you do it?[/p][p]This is a cold, cold forum.[/p]

i'm with you, but laughing about it. i dunno how to get my computer to read the kanji [ i know, i know there are softwares out there, however, unless someone who is sympathetic to the techdisabled helps me ...] demo, to interfere in the on-going discussions seems rude ...
  • If you are smart enough, you might have type in Google a simple query, that will just SHOUT OUT a lot of CORRECT solutions on how to read kana/kanji and EVEN (!!!) write in japanese.

I don't know whether you are capable enough to use Google, so I googled it for you:
    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=pl&rlz=&q=windows+xp+japanese+characters&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Enjoy!
  • Posted By: MaestroS
    [p]If you are smart enough, you might have type in Google a simple query, that will just SHOUT OUT a lot of CORRECT solutions on how to read kana/kanji and EVEN (!!!) write in japanese.[/p][p]I don't know whether you are capable enough to use Google, so I googled it for you:
    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=pl&rlz=&q=windows+xp+japanese+characters&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=[/p][p]Enjoy![/p]

Wow, Maestro, that sent a shiver down my spine.

A lot of the questions that get posted here could be answered by a simple Google query (or - God forbid - by actually consulting the jisho section of jisho.org) and most of the people who answer them realise that, but we try to be patient anyway.
  • If someone is somehow forced to use Jisho rather than Google, there is still "search" function. It really saves the time and prevents multiplying subjects that were solved like 12,800,000 (following Google) times.
  • Perhaps some stickies are in order? Such as one for people who want to request entire song translations, how to input kanji, and the like... those topics seem to pop up often enough. Then again, most people seem to ignore stickies anyway. I don't know. Sorry for the hijack, but I've been thinking this issue would come up at some point.
  • ゆうじん friend.
    ともだち friends.

Although tomodachi can mean friend or friends, My Japanese teacher (who is Japanese) tends to associate tomodachi with friends more than friend. For friend he would probably use yuujin.
  • 友人 (ゆうじん) is more formal、but isn't limited to singular or plural. Your teacher probably associates it with singular because it's often used as a more intimate expression. The meaning is more along the lines of "good/close/best friend"
  • In 明鏡国語辞典, under the entry of 友達, there is a footnote: "本来は複数だが、現在は単数にも使う" (It was originally plural, but now it can also be used as singular.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion