Japanese tongue twisters
  • This is what they call them, anyway, although they don't twist the tongue as much as some English ones I know.

They can be fun to say, and might help to impress or amuse your Japanese friends.

Here's one to get the ball rolling:

隣の客はよく柿食う客だ。The guest next door is a guest who eats a lot of kaki (persimmon).

It seems like 柿を食う would be more correct, but I'm just writing it the way I learnt it.
  • バスガス爆発 - Bus gas explosion (basu gasu baku hatsu). Not really a toungetwister, but many japanese have a hard time saying it fast.

Best one:
    Toukyou tokkyo kyokyakyoku - Tokyo Patenting Office
    There is an even longer version of this which is over twice as long, but I don't remember it.

Edit: Found an example of it:
  • Nice, the bus one in particular made me laugh.
  • I found my long one on japanese wikipedia, it has the longer versions listed:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/東京特許許可局
  • Posted By: Tobberoth
    [p]バスガス爆発 - Bus gas explosion (basu gasu baku hatsu). Not really a toungetwister, but many japanese have a hard time saying it fast.[/p][p]

There's also the longer version: バスガス爆発ブスバスガイド
  • I learned 生麦生米生卵(なまむぎなまごめなまたまご)pretty early in my Japanese studies but I never had any problem saying it.

A real-life word that I do have problem with though is

しちょうちょうちょうせんきょ【市長町長選挙】mayoral election

:)
  • And there's is some twisters almost like this:

-awasetepyokopyokomupyokopyoko
    -sumomo mo momomo

But they aren't really that hard to manage...
  • My new favourite, from a Japanese police campaign (via http://www.uebersetzung.at/twister/ja.htm):

飲むなら乗るな!乗るなら飲むな!

Nomu nara noru na! Noru nara nomu na!

If you drink, don't drive! If you're driving, don't drink!
  • Tongue twisters???
    Well, give this a try, Uriuri ga uri urini kite uri urezu uri uri kaeru uriuri no koe.
    Should it be memorized???

memory booster
  • Oh, I forgot a classic one before. Not really a tongue twister, just an amusing line which can be hard to say correctly.

庭には二羽鶏がいます。 (niwa ni wa ni wa niwatori ga imasu)
    It means "In the garden, there are two chickens".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion