Words You Won't Find In A Dictionary
  • I'll bet everyone has come across this problem many times. You come upon a word or phrase or meaning that you can't find in any of the dictionaries made for English-speaking people, and if you are lucky, you might find it in a Japanese-only dictionary. Here are some of the ones I come across that doesn't appear in Denshi Jisho:

連コイン (renkoin): adding more coins to an arcade game in order to continue after your character dies.

現国 (genkoku): Short for "現代国語" (gendai kokugo - also not in the dictionary) which means Modern Japanese. I really don't get why this term isn't in the dictionary since it's a major subject in Japanese high schools.

淫夢 (inmu): dirty dreams

パッパラパー: I guess this is an old slang, but it means a total screw up or a fool.

ウエット: Sentimental or emotionally fragile

シェー: Special exclamation coupled with a pose that first showed up in the gag manga "Osomatsu-kun" where the character Iyami frequently does it.

視姦 (shikan): literally "eye rape".

幼帝 (youtei): child emperor.

鮭弁 (shakeben): salmon bentou.

キャラこい: Short for "キャラクターが濃い" used to describe people with strong (overbearing) personalities.

花道 (hanamichi): Used to describe a splendid, glorious life of an individual or a category of people, i.e. "女の花道".

神 (kami): Shows up in internet chat rooms which is similar to the way we use "win".

Well, that's all I can think of right now (except for some sexual terms that I'm not sure would be appropriate to post here). Feel free to post some of your own or tell me how horribly wrong I am, your choice :^)
  • I personally use japanese dictionaries, so I come across this problem quite rarely nowadays, unless it's slang which I look up in Japanese slang dictionaries.

Of those words, quite a few show up in Daijisen, not all of them though. (eye rape for example does not...)
  • Posted By: Tobberoth
    [p]I personally use japanese dictionaries, so I come across this problem quite rarely nowadays, unless it's slang which I look up in Japanese slang dictionaries.[/p][p]Of those words, quite a few show up in Daijisen, not all of them though. (eye rape for example does not...)[/p]

Yeah, but what I don't understand is why dictionaries tailored for English speakers aren't as extensive as those unabridged Japanese dictionaries. I mean, it would be relatively simple to just transcribe what's in the Daijisen or similar dictionaries into an English database.
  • Posted By: ItAintEazy
    [quote]
    Posted By: Tobberoth
    [p]I personally use japanese dictionaries, so I come across this problem quite rarely nowadays, unless it's slang which I look up in Japanese slang dictionaries.[/p][p]Of those words, quite a few show up in Daijisen, not all of them though. (eye rape for example does not...)[/p]
    [p]Yeah, but what I don't understand is why dictionaries tailored for English speakers aren't as extensive as those unabridged Japanese dictionaries. I mean, it would be relatively simple to just transcribe what's in the Daijisen or similar dictionaries into an English database.[/p][/quote]
    First of all, that would be illegal since those definitions are obviously copyrighted, only a translation from the actual company would do.
    Second of all, there's really no need. EDICT covers enough to get you far beyond the level needed to use Japanese dictionaries. (Which is actually a lot easier than one would think beforehand.)

Therefore, I would assume that there's simply no incentive to make such a comprehensive J-E dictionary. The best one I've found is 研究者 新英和大辞典, which covers at least a few of those words, including ウエット and 花道.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion