What is a "no-adjective" and when is "no" used instead of "na"
  • I am a bit confused right now about na-adjectives. I am studying from a vocab list that will often list some of them ending in "no" such as: 逆様の. But when I look this word up as 逆様 in the dictionary it lists it as a "na-adjective" and also as a "no-adjective". So what is the difference between the two? When are you supposed to use "no", and when are you supposed to use "na". Is there a difference in meaning depending on which one you use?

Is 逆様の映像 different from 逆様な映像?

I am worried that I might be memorizing how to use some na adjectives with no, even when they shouldn't be, and this would be bad. I trust the vocab list that I am using, but if I could have no-adjectives explained to me that would help me out a lot. I actually have a whole book on japanese adjectives, that does not ever use the term no-adjective. But it does explain how it can allow one noun to modify another.
  • I don't think the term "no-adjective" is too popular, which is why it probably doesn't come up in your book. A "no-adjective" is really a noun which you're using like an adjective by placing "no" after it. The na-adjectives are just certain nouns which (I guess) were commonly enough used as adjectives to "graduate" into na-adjectives. For most words, you should typically either use "no" or "na," but not both (e.g., 元気な, 普通の), though for some "特別" words (like 特別) you can use either.

I'm not too familiar with 逆様, but my dictionary lists it as "no" also, and looking on google it seems like this is the more common usage (though there's a book called 完全逆様な世界). In the case where you can use either no or na, they are more or less interchangeable.
  • ok thank you, I understand how it works now

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion