How do you use Denshi Jisho?
  • It would be very interesting to hear how people use Denshi Jisho. In school, for homework, at work, for translation ...

Personally I use it whenever I read Japanese in front of the computer, be it a web page or book. I mostly use the word and kanji by radical searches, and complement them with the kokugo dictionary at http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/ and a Casio EX-word denshi jisho that I recently bought. When reading Japanese web pages I often use the bookmarklet (you can find it on the Denshi Jisho home page) to look up words I'm not sure about.

How do you use Denshi Jisho and what other tools do you complement it with?
  • I use it when chatting with Japanese people, as I mostly use Rikaichan for direct word lookups on pages. But I really use jisho.org daily. I really often just use the word lookups, but sometimes I use the sentences even more. They might be not 100% accurate, but if you skim 5-10 sentences using the same pattern you quickly get the hang of it anyway.

I also use my mobile version of Denshi Jisho when reading novels on my train to school every day. http://jisho.shiinaringo.se The site's downside is that it doesn't really support any other features than simple word lookups and is really just a simple and "stupid" wrapper of Denshi Jisho, but the upside of the site is that I can use with the kanji-crippled phones of Europe.
  • Posted By: Kim
    [p]It would be very interesting to hear how people use Denshi Jisho. In school, for homework, at work, for translation ...[/p][p]Personally I use it whenever I read Japanese in front of the computer, be it a web page or book. I mostly use the word and kanji by radical searches, and complement them with the kokugo dictionary athttp://dic.yahoo.co.jp/and a Casio EX-word denshi jisho that I recently bought. When reading Japanese web pages I often use the bookmarklet (you can find it on the Denshi Jisho home page) to look up words I'm not sure about.[/p][p]How do you use Denshi Jisho and what other tools do you complement it with?[/p][span class=CommentSignature]I make Denshi Jisho.[/span]

I used it a lot while studying japanese in Japan. Nowadays, I use it mainly whenever I'm reading japanese texts. Websites, manga, you name it. I also use it a lot when translating. The radical-search of kanji is also the best i've found and I use it constantly when I find new kanji.

In fact, I do not even own a japanese dictionary except one for Nintendo DS which I use when I'm not by a computer. Denshi Jisho is enough for all my needs.
  • Lately, I've been using it to help me with listening comprehension. Like while watching a movie on my laptop, I'll pause it if I hear something new or interesting and try to work out the spelling from what I heard, then look it up here. It helps me work through dialects or subtle vocalizations and expand my vocabulary too.
    I wish I had known about this site while in Japan! It would have made homework and studying easier.
  • Hi Kim, great website, thank you so much!

It has become an absolutely essential tool in my Japanese studies. I use the site every day for Japanese class, and I've found it to be the most useful tool for looking up words, looking up unknown Kanji by Radicals, or searching for sentence patterns that match what I'm trying to say for essays and other writing. It's so simple and easy to use, I've gained in efficiency by orders of magnitude.

My only regret is that lately I've been trying to use a Japanese dictionary instead of an English<->Japanese dictionary to look up words, so I'm having to use other sites a little more and this site less. Thats not to say that I don't use this website a hundred times a day though, especially when I don't understand the meaning in Japanese (which is still pretty often), and the 'external links' come in quite handy so that I can try using different dictionaries.

Being the programmer myself I also find the wildcards to be an excellent time saving feature. Making Kanji easier to see when hover is another great feature I use constantly. I rave about this dictionary to my fellow classmates all the time. Thanks from me and my classmates at UCLA for keeping it simple, keeping it powerful, and for all your time and effort!!
  • Jonny: Yeah, the accuracy of the sentences can vary a bit, so reading several of them is a good idea.

Tobberoth: I guess you have the Kanji sono mama. I have that too and find it very good. But unfortunately I can't use it when playing DS games like Gyakuten Saiban (highly recommended!) :)

karaue, tacomanator: Glad you like it! Also glad you have found the larger-kanji-on-hover feature. It isn't obvious from just looking at the page, so I wasn't sure if people knew about it. Preferabbly I'd like to make it easier to discover than just happening to stumble upon it.
  • Being picky, I sometimes find the larger-kanji-on-hover feature interfering with rikaichan. Denshi Jisho and rikaichan really is a good combo.
  • I use it everyday, mostly for the example sentences.

I really like the look of this site. Quality!
  • Love this site, especially the wildcard feature, when searching for words, which most other sites don't support
    excellent for translating Japanese kanji
    Denshi Jisho, Jim Breen's WWWJDIC Server, and Rikaichan.. is a deadly combo.
  • I have found Denshi Jisho indispensable in translating short stories and documents. As I have not had the luxury of going to Japan or to study in class, most of what I know comes directly from book-learning. The example sentences in Denshi Jisho give me the ability to make my grammatically-correct-but-awkward Japanese look more natural and fluent.
  • Hej Kim...

Hur star det till? :D

I do not think I need to explain my use of Denshi Jisho to you eh? ;)

I am not sure we discussed this in email before or perhaps you saw it on my labs site for Rangaku, but I also had integrated Vanilla as the forum choice for now (until Pocoo gets done). I guess great minds think alike! :D
  • Posted By: asmodai
    I guess great minds think alike! :D[/p]

So you're implying I think just like you? Or that you think almost like me? *smug*
  • Posted By: Rukishou
    [p]So you're implying I think just like you? Or that you think almost like me? *smug*[/p]

Whichever one makes you the most happy. ^^
  • Posted By: asmodai
    [p]Hej Kim...[/p][p]Hur star det till? :D[/p][p]I do not think I need to explain my use of Denshi Jisho to you eh? ;)[/p][p]I am not sure we discussed this in email before or perhaps you saw it on my labs site for Rangaku, but I also had integrated Vanilla as the forum choice for now (until Pocoo gets done). I guess great minds think alike! :D[/p]

Hello, no we've talked before :)

Actually I looked a bit at Pocoo before settling on Vanilla. Unfortunately it looks like development has stalled a bit. Or is there activity below the surface that I have missed?
  • Have no idea. Personally like to create my own blog and forum systems rather than using some punBB or SMF and such. ^^
    [p]Have no idea. Personally like to create my own blog and forum systems rather than using some punBB or SMF and such. ^^[/p][span class=CommentSignature]~Fumoffu![/span]

Yes, ideally I would like to design a forum software myself, if I only had the time and energy to devote to such a gargantuan task :)
  • It's fun. Love coding, though... Maybe you don't? :/
  • Oh I do, make no mistake about it ;)
    [p]Have no idea. Personally like to create my own blog and forum systems rather than using some punBB or SMF and such. ^^[/p]

Which is all fine and dandy, until you get to the point where you get to solve many security related issues, such as cross-site scripting and other fun stuff.

There's a balance between Not Invented Here (NIH) syndrome and the real need for rolling your own.
  • Posted By: Kim
    [p]Actually I looked a bit at Pocoo before settling on Vanilla. Unfortunately it looks like development has stalled a bit. Or is there activity below the surface that I have missed?[/p]

It's stalled yes, but some other guys are working on Palaver. Can't find the URL now, will reply when I found it.
  • This is a test install of Palaver: http://palaver.nwsnet.de/
  • I use this site almost randomly. I will go through the day thinking how to say something in Japanese and BAM! there it is on Denshi Jisho. It really helps me out very much so.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion