MAC OS Kanji Selection
  • Hey All,
    I just recently switched from PC to MAC. I'm loving my Mac, but I'm finding the Kanji input software lacking in comparison to the PC's.The problem is that when I type in the hiragana for certain kanji words, the word does not appear at the top of the Kanji list that appears below the hiragana. In other words, the dictionary in the Kanji input system on this OS has a very small vocabulary. As a result, I have to find the individual components of the kanji word myself in order to build the word, which is very time consuming.

For example, if I type heikou へいこう、I should get the option to select the Kanji 平衡 from the list that pops up below my input. Instead, I have to find the two component Kanji individually by typing taira to get 平, and then typing a word like kinkou to get 均衡 erase the 均、and then stick the remaining 衡 together with 平. This is a frustrating and time consuming process. 平衡 is not a particularly rare word either, so the kanji input software ought to know it.

My old PC had way more kanji words to choose from. Does anyone know of a way to increase the number of Kanji words available to the Kanji selection system in a MAC OSX 10.6.3? There must be some dictionary update or something.

Any tips would be helpful.
  • That sounds a bit odd. I am using OS X 10.6.3 as well, and I get 平衡 as the second option for へいこう.

But if you find the native input method lacking you could try out Google's recently released Japanese IME: http://www.google.com/intl/ja/ime/index-mac.html

I have been using it for a while, and it's pretty good. Some interaction features of it seem closer to how the Windows IME works, so you might find it nicer than the native Mac one.

You can also register new words in the Kotoeri dictionary, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.
  • I just use the native OSX conversion system (10.6.3). To convert へいこう into kanji, you hit space for the "default" conversion, 平行, and if you hit space again you get the next item in the list 平衡 (and the list appears, but it doesn't appear before you hit space twice). Eventually, the kanji converter will sort the list according to your usage (after you select 平衡 once or twice, it will be the default conversion).

One thing that's nice (maybe the IME does it too) is you can read explanations (in Japanese) of the some of the different character usages.

As Kim said, you can also register words in the dictionary, but you should really only need to do this for nonstandard readings/characters like in names or in 古語。
  • I'm happy to hear you two are having luck, but I'm afraid that if I do exactly as you described the kanji does not appear on the list. It's not only heiko, but many other words with standard readings. I still have a warranty on my Mac, so maybe I'll contact the tech support.

But before I do that, does anyone know about some language setting I might be missing.
  • Hmm... that's strange. I assume you're using kotoeri - hiragana, because I don't think there's another native way to this on the mac (unless you install Mac OS X in Japanese).

Try going to the kotoeri preferences menu (see picture in typing in Japanese section on this page for where to find it:

http://redcocoon.org/cab/mysoft.html

and go to the "Candidate" tab. The first question should be "show after how many conversions." Mine says one, which I think is the default, but check what yours says. Also, if you press down arrow, this should bring up the conversion candidate list, so you could also try that to see if it works.
  • I'm having this same problem. Common words do not show up in the candidate list, and often (this is most frustrating at all) the IME will simply convert part of the word to a kanji, and another part to a different, unrelated kanji, or occasionally to a kana. The IME actually doesn't recognize that the syllables I typed are all part of one word, so there's no possibility of the right word being in the candidate list. A problem when I register words is that in the register word window, when you select the part of speech, there's no option for "verb." That means if you register a verb in its plain form, the IME still won't recognize any of the conjugated forms of the verb, and you would have to register each of them separately. And not just the five endings. Literally every verb suffix would need its own entry, or else the IME will only take the part that's registered, and separate the rest into another word. If 行か is registered along with 行く, the IME will show 行か, but ない will get turned into 無い or 内, 行かせる will get turned into 行かセル, and so on, so that you'd need to register dozens of words every time it doesn't know a common verb. Windows never did this, and it seems a lot of people are saying their macs don't do this, so its starting to make me think some macs have bad software on them or something. I might try the Google one you mentioned.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion