• Hello, I'd like to know how to write "づ" with a keyboard. If I type "zu", I always get a "ず".

Thanks.
  • Try typing "du".
  • Roro is right.

ZU「ず」 and D(Z)U「づ」
  • It works, but what if I wanna write "Du", now ? (a で + a little うnext to it)

Thanks.
  • You can put an x before some kana to make them small, so でぅ would be "dexu".
  • dhu also works for でゅ (on Windows IME).

edit:
    Ooops! You wanted でぅ not でゅ. Sorry!

dexu as Kim said, or delu both work.
  • Another way to write 'du' is どぅ, typed "doxu". I find this spelling more common, and more consistent with とぅ 'tu', which is rarely if ever written てぅ.
  • I agree with Hakaku - I would write:

トゥ and ドゥ (tu / du)
    ティ and ディ (ti / di).

By the way, given that these are probably not native Japanese words we're talking about, is there any reason why everyone is using hiragana rather than katakana?
  • Heh, well I was just following the same format as everyone else. Although, the hiragana spellings are used in the context of Ryukyuan languages and dialects such as Okinawa (and, depending on the writing system, とぅ may be fused as one single character). Otherwise, you're right in that they should be in katakana.
  • Posted By: Hakaku
    [p]Another way to write 'du' is どぅ, typed "doxu". I find this spelling more common, and more consistent with とぅ 'tu', which is rarely if ever written てぅ.[/p]

Japanese schoolchildren learn that つ is tu and ち is ti, and almost everyone types tu and ti and si on their computer keyboards to get つ and ち and し, so if you say とぅ is "tu" you're just confusing everyone.
  • Posted By: Ben Bullock
    [p]Japanese schoolchildren learn that つ is tu and ち is ti, and almost everyone types tu and ti and si on their computer keyboards to get つ and ち and し, so if you say とぅ is "tu" you're just confusing everyone.[/p][span class=CommentSignature]www.sljfaq.org[/span]

No, the OP specifically asked how to type "Du" as in the character で with a small う, which is what I was referring to; his first question was already answered. The only people who will get confused are those who didn't bother reading the entire thread. In this case, トゥ refers to the sound [tu] as in the English word "two". This sound is romanized under extended Hepburn, the most widely used romanization system, as tu. To type it on your keyboard (aka alphabet-input), you would normally have to type 'toxu'; unless you're using kana-input, in which you have to either type う twice, or continue hitting the vowel key.

Standard Japanese /tu/ is affricated into [tsu], and subsequently romanized in Hepburn as tsu. In regards to typing, yes, you simply type the characters 'tu'; or つ in kana-input.

Even though standard Japanese doesn't distinguish the sounds [tsu] and [tu] apart, loan words and pronunciation keys will note these differences in writing. Moreover, in the case of writing in specific dialects or languages in Japan, understanding the difference between つ and とぅ and how to type them is important.

Be careful, as a writing system and a typing system are not the same thing.
  • Posted By: Ben Bullock
    [p]dhu also works for でゅ (on Windows IME).[/p][p]edit:
    Ooops! You wanted でぅ not でゅ. Sorry![/p][p]dexu as Kim said, or delu both work.[/p][span class=CommentSignature]www.sljfaq.org[/span]

Just a quick note that "delu" will not produce でぅ on jisho.org. It works on Windows, but I've chosen then Mac way and have "l" be equal to "r" in terms of input.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion