Possible New Feature for Denshi Jisho
  • Hi, I know I'm new here, but I've been using Denshi Jisho a TON (because I'm studying Japanese at my University and am actually in Japan right now studying at a Japanese University for a couple of months) and thought of a possible feature it could implement. Don't get me wrong, Denshi Jisho is the most amazing electronic dictionary I've ever used and I wish I could have it with me at all times, but I was thinking, maybe there could be a new project to implement grammar structures? I don't know if I'm just stupid and have missed the boat about a discussion of this already, but I think it would be really neat to have a searchable index of grammar structures to look at if you run into something new while talking with your friends or reading a Japanese book. The sentence system that's here is nice, but it's more anecdotal than anything, but I believe a grammar structure index would really be an invaluable resource. Just a thought........

Keep up the good work!!!
  • That's not a bad idea, but might take a little while to implement...?

There's also other grammar sites like jgram.org and Tae Kim's grammar site.
  • Those are nice, but I was thinking of a more searchable one, like you could enter "verb(potential form) + ようになる” and it could say "to become better at something". Something like that. Also, accompanying it could have example sentences. I dunno, just a thought, since this website has everything else already....
  • This could be made using the Kanzen Master books in JLPT grammar. It would take ages to implement though since there are several hundred structures in the JLPT2 books alone.

It would be immensly useful though, it could be something simple like:

Grammar: Noun + だらけ
    Meaning: "A mess off", "lots of (negative)"
    Example: この部屋はごみだらけだ!
    Example2: 分からないことだらけだ。
  • Yeah, exactly!!! Maybe if it's open for contributions, a lot of people could work on it. It would just be really helpful to lots of people.
  • Sounds interesting, but could be a lot of work. You'd have to invent all the sentences to avoid copyright issues. Then who's going to guarantee they're correct?

Having just thought about it, maybe a better way to start would be to use the sentences on the site already, and just categorise the structures a bit more efficiently. You might even get away with linking them to their Kanzen Master numbers, if you didn't use any of their material, though even then I'm not sure.
  • You can copyright sentences??? That's messed up!!! But I'm sure there's enough talented Japanese speakers who could come up with original sentences. And they don't have to be that complex.
  • We could of course take kanzen master sentences and simply use other words (although many japanese grammar contructions rely highly on what words are used with them. For example, -gatai (used to imply something is hard to do) is used a lot with the verb shinjiru (shinjigatai) but not at all with tons of other verbs.)
  • You could, of course, take the Tanaka corpus and work from there: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/tanakacorpus.html
  • The jgram data can actually be exported in EDICT format which means that I could potentially include it in Denshi Jisho. However, I'm not too sure about the quality of the data.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion