Introductions
  • Since this is a brand new forum it would be nice to introduce ourselves to each other.

As I'm responsible for the site I'll start. I'm from Stockholm, Sweden, and have been studying Japanese on and off since 2000 when I took a once-a-week evening course with a friend. That started my interest for Japan, and in 2001 I went there on a high-school exchange program for then months, living in Tottori-ken in the middle of the pitoresque countryside. I didn't know much more than a few phrases at the time, and the first few months I practically lived in my dictionary trying to decipher what people were saying to me. I had a lot of fun, and after graduating high-school I entered the Japanese language program at Stockholm University.

In 2004 I did a semester at Nanzan University in Nagoya where I used a real denshi jisho, a Seiko model bought the year before, as my main dictionary. But not a week had passed after coming back to Sweden before the screen broke. Instead of importing a new one I started using WWWJDIC quite a lot, but wasn't quite satisified with how it worked. With that as motive I started working on Denshi Jisho.

The first version was very simple and didn't have any kind of kanji search. The code very soon outgrew itself when I wanted to add more features, and so I decided to start over. This became the current Denshi Jisho, which I released on february 9 2006. Since then I have tried to add new features or to polish the existing ones at a steady pace, with the occational silent period :) The latest features are this forum and the iPhone optimized version of the site. I also have a few exiting new things in the works that I hope to release during the year.

Anyhow, last September I came back from an exchange year at Tokyo University of Foreign Studies with a renewed interest in the language and culture, and so in December I graduated Stockholm University with a Bachelor's degree in Japanese. During that last semester we had to take Classical Japanese, which at first sounded stuffy and boring. But it turned out to be one of the most interesting courses on Japanese that I have ever taken, and I really recommend it to anyone with even the slightest interest in Japanese linguistics!

Currently I'm in Tokyo looking for a job. So if you know anyone who needs a skilled Perl programmer, give me a shout ;)

Phew.. That's my Japanese story. Now share yours!
  • Excellent idea! I will add my story as well, for what it's worth.

My name is Peter and I am native of Sweden. My sometimes confused, sometimes painful but always interesting journey towards learning Japanese started somewhat haphazardly two years ago, when I decided it was about time I visited Japan for the first time. I had always had a keen interest in Japanese society and culture since a young age, probably due to all the movies I saw back in the 80's.

Anyway, let's go back to the year of 2006. At this time, I had decided to start saving up money for a backpacking trip to Japan planned for the summer of 2007. The next step in my line of thought was that I should probably try to learn some of the quirky Japanese language before I go, for convenience and to pass the time whilst saving money during the long, dark Swedish winter. So I enrolled in a beginner-level Japanese course at my local university, with a one-and-a-half class once a week. Thanks to the infinite patience of my ever so helpful Japanese teacher and my friendly course mates, I managed to learn quite a lot of basic Japanese during this time, both in class and self-studying. This seemed to spark my interest in Japan even more, and what started as an idea out of daydreaming began taking form into its own.

Eventually the summer of 2007 came, and I spent 5 wonderful weeks in Japan, hiking around trying to see and experience as much as I could. Tokyo, Kamakura, Nikko, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima, Himeji, Sapporo, Otaru... needless to say, everyday was an adventure, and I had literally the time of my life. The little Japanese I had learned proved to be very useful, and whenever I tried using it I generated surprise and interest from the Japanese people I met, and I made many friends there during this time. It is quite astonishing such a long way using a little Japanese goes when travelling in Japan.

When I returned to my hometown, I knew my life had taken a new direction. Conveniently enough, my home university had decided to expand the Japanese language education, and started some brand new full-time Japanese courses. So I enrolled at the university again, and at the same time applied for a language school in Kyoto. And that is where I am now. If everything goes as planned, gods be willing, I will go to Kyoto in April and study Japanese there for two years. What happens after that, I do not know. But I do not really need to know, do I? I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for me, wherever I may end up.

John Lennon once said "Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans", and I think I know what he meant. From a very humble idea of a small vacation in Japan, I started learning the Japanese language, and now I am suddenly planning to live there for at least two years. Life does indeed sometimes throw you a real curveball, so to speak.

During my Japanese studies, Denshi Jisho has proved an invaluable tool, and I have used it quite extensively, several times everyday. I would like to extend my gratitude to my fellow Swede who created this site, which has supported my studies in such a nice way. Tack så mycket! :-)

Well, that's my story, so far. Thanks for reading. By the way, if you would like to read my travel blog and see some pictures from my Japan trip, go to http://piddelito.blogspot.com and go back to June-August 2007. The blog is rather dormant right now, but I will try to keep writing as I go.
  • Hello!!!

I am so happy I found this on-line dictionary as it helps me with my studies...I'm from Romania and I study Japanese and English at the University of Bucharest.

I am in the trird year and I am studying a lot for a scholarship in Tokyo...OMG...there are 2 weeks left!!!:(( ( I am extremely nervous). But anyway...Piddelito, I saw your blogspot ( the pictures with the Japanese books ) hillarious...I should post some pictures with my room ( stiffed with books, a lot of sheets of paper fiiled with kanji..勉強, 勉強,ずっと 勉強 ):P

So...wish me luck and keep you posted.

Adina
  • Hi!
    I'm from Ploiesti, Romania. Been an on and off self-taught Japanese student for a year now. I'm in a love-hate relationship with the kanji... I'm a grad in philology with a minor in English. I'm pretty good with computers, Linux and Python.
    My whole obsession with Japanese started with the weirdness of their movies. I figured, if their films can get so strange and disturbing (牛頭, anyone?) then there must be a lot more to it than catches the eye. And indeed, I believe that only a true obsession can overcome the madness of learning thousands of unique, yet painfully similar characters.
    Well, I've travelled to Japan many, many times, but unlike those who've already posted here, only in my thoughts :).
    Thank you Kim for this great site! Great layout, great functionality! Since I found it, I haven't used anything else. And it was indeed high time for a forum.
    Great meeting you guys! Si multa bafta cu bursa, Adina!
  • Multumesc mult ( Thank you very much!!Antinomic ). The way you presented your "relationship" with kanji so represents me too. Like right now I can't stand them, because I know I have an exam tomorrow at 12 and I have 7h left to study :((...but anyways..it's great to see that there are people who are interested in Japanese although they have a different...how to say..専門 :)
    I would be very grateful should you recommend me a good Japanese movie :)
  • I'm Swedish. I guess I studied Japanese at the same university as Kim. Just two years though, no plan on getting a degree (yet). Because I'm going abroad to Tokyo for one year shortly. And until then my surely-will-fail goal is to master (stupid word, cause you will never master kanji) the jouyou kanji, ie 1945 of them. I so far studied about 1000 and might have up acquired loosely 1500 since I left the Japanese studies, through reading novels, internet websites, chatting, and so on. I'm at the point of trying to figure out how to acquire the final 500 or so kanji. I was planning on making a system to teach them to me as I'm also a programmer/system developer (why is everyone that here?), but I find myself somewhere between too busy and too lazy. I guess I will make a post about that on its own...
  • Great to see this forum ;). I hope this will become a nice place to ask japanese doubts and to help each other.

A bit about myself... I'm from Madrid, Spain, and my interest in japanese started when i was in university. Back then there was no japanese studies around here (now it has improved sligthly, but it could be better), so i applied to a language school and started to study japanese. Several years passed, and i gave up the language because of lack of time and because i was busy working (by the way, i'm a programmer too, everyone in the IT field is interested in Japan, i don't know why... By the way Kim, if you find a place where they need another, apart from you, Perl programmer, let me know! :-P (read below)).

So, i went to Japan first time in 2005 on holidays. I loved it. I mustered renewed strength to take up again my struggle with japanese ;-). At the end of 2006 went back to study japanese in a language school in Kyoto for three months, and time passed so fast... And again, next week!, i'll go again to Kyoto and will try to find a job in Japan... Wish me luck! :-)
  • こんにちは、皆さん。
    紹介し合うのは本当に良いんだよね。
    あの。。。
    私は17才の男で日本語を美少女戦士セーラームーンというアニメのために1年前に勉強し始めましたのです。そういえば、このフォーラムでアニメが好きな人がいるんですか。 ハンガリーに住んでいるので、残念な事にまだ日本に行ったことがないのよ。電子辞書は最高なサイトだと思っていて、人々はそう思ってることを望んでいます。あなたたちは漢字を入力するためにどのプログラムを使っているのか。僕はATOKというアプリをダウンロードしたばかりでとっても気に入ってるようになったのだ。
    もう、日本語が上手ではないけどコメントが分かればいいと思ってます。
    バイバイ!!!頑張ってね。
  • 一年前だって?すごい、もっと前から始まったらしいだ ―(T_T)→ その一年日本語のみ勉強したかい?
  • Hello,

ぼくのなまえわ Jeff です。ぼくわあめりかじんです。

I've been teaching my self nihongo for the past few months. I have just begun to be able to say simple, but fairly useful phases, and sentences in Japanese. I frequently stroll into http://cp.va-sa-ra.co.jp/~hack/html/top.html with is a virtual chat-room, based on the .hack anime. It's very simple, but there are a few very nice nihonjin there, that put up with my horrible Japanese ^^; I also have a pen-pal from Japan, who is very nice too, and we help each other whenever we have a problem with learning our respective languages ;P I use jisho.org for hours every day trying to translate what is being said to me, and trying to come up with new sentences.

My interest in Japan started when I saw my first anime (Inuyasha for anyone who cares) and fell in love with the art style. Soon after I was watching tons of anime, and trying desperately to mimic the art style (in which I fail horribly still, but shall never give up), I discovered that I had to watch the anime in it's original language, Japanese. To put it bluntly, I believe that it is hard enough to translate the language, but to find good voice actors for the characters is near impossible. So I began to watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles. In the past months, I decided I want to be able to know what the characters are saying, without the pesky subtitles, so I started my venture into the Japanese language. And that brings us to where I am now, still learning the language ;P

I'm currently trying to memorize all the kana. Also, I try to learn as much vocabulary as possible. Most recently I have tried my hand at conjugating verbs, which I find extremely difficult. So please wish me luck, as I wish all of you much luck in learning this language ^^
  • 僕も名前はJeffのですけど、僕達は同じな人じゃないと想っています。-__^
    シカゴのNorthwestern大学で心理学と言語学を勉強しています。日本語の勉強は一年前ぐらい始まって見えない未来へ多分続くんですね。高校の終わった夏休みに友達といっしょうに日本で二週間に旅行しました。あの国の風景に恋に落ちましたかな。大学を終える頃にJETプログラムで日本に住むつもりなんですから今がんばるよね!
    日本と韓国のポップ音楽を聞くのは大好きです。リリクの分かるのはたいてい難しくても言葉の意味を探すのは楽しいことだと思っています。音楽からいっぱい習ったことがあるね。しかし、歌にある言葉は時々...どう言えばいい...少し珍しいんですね。
    まぁ、今本当に宿題をすべきです。だからまた喋るね!

Jeff
  • Oh, gasp, I'm new. Guess I should introduce myself?

Well, I've used Denshi Jisho for quite awhile. I have a passion for Japanese music, so the dictionary really helps me with lines in songs I don't get. I'm from West Virginia, USA, and no school in the entire AREA of where I live offers Japanese classes, meaning I have no chance for any professional training in the language. I've tried to teach myself, but I've found it a bit too hard for myself to learn. The only language class I've ever been able to take is Spanish, but I really, really, really would love to learn Japanese. I have so much more interest in it, and really want to go to Japan at least once when I get older. Or see a Japanese concert. I've already watched a bunch of Japanese movies.

So...I know absolutely no Japanese. Whatsoever. Besides the typical hello and goodbye and thank you and that stuff. xD If anyone would be so kind as to give me a few tips at where to get started, I'd appreciate it. Also, it'd just be fun to talk to people!
  • @Doshaburi: from humble beginnings, and so on. Don't give up!

The best start you could give yourself would be to learn hiragana and katakana, the japanese phonetic script. Sure, you can learn romanized japanese, it is a tempting way to cut a corner, but it will hamper your learning later on. Kanji can wait until much later. As you may or may not have seen, in japanese manga comics for example it is common practice to write the reading of the kanji above in small hiragana - called furigana. So even if you don't know any kanji at all, you will still be able to read japanese. So get yourself a training book, and start practising. I would recommend Easy Kana Workbook or Remembering the Kana, depending on your learning style. Read the reviews, and choose one.

But you need to learn grammar as well, right? A good and completely free resource is the A Japanese Guide to Japanese Grammar by Tae Kim, found at http://guidetojapanese.org . Written from the ground up with the newcomer in mind, it contains all the basic grammar you need to know to get started. I have the whole thing printed out, and I have learned so much from it, even compared to my university textbooks.

Of course you need to learn as much vocabulary as you can, so I recommend reading and listening to a lot of japanese from various sources - manga, anime, music, movies, etc - and use good old Denshi Jisho for your translating needs. :-)

Hope it helps. 日本語を学ぶのが楽しいから、頑張ってください!(Learning Japanese is fun, good luck!)
  • Posted By: Piddelito
    A Japanese Guide to Japanese Grammarby Tae Kim, found athttp://guidetojapanese.org.

I totally second that. It's good, useful and funny. And surprisingly enough, it won't make you fat. However, you'll need to know some kanji and deffinitely the kana to understand the examples.
  • Hi everyone,
    I am a regular user of this website. Just passing by to congratulate Kim for his work.
    And for a short introduction, I am French living in Japan and working as an engineer in a Japanese company. I am underpaid but at least no overtime!
    If I have time, I'll post more often on the forum.
    Cheers and good luck to everyone japanese studies cause sometimes to study this language is close to hell. But so interesting language :)
  • Hey everyone, I'm Mel and my native tongue is English but I am a Japanese --> English translator. I regularly use this site, it has extensive data and combinations of kanji that you won't find on other Japanese generating sites. Some searches also return some cultural references, which I find very useful and efficient. I regularly use it to help me out.
  • Hi all. Canadian here. I'm actually a Chinese immigrant having finished elementary school in Hong Kong. So yes, I know my Chinese well and I had a 12-years head start on Kanji :p But believe me, Japanese Kanji for me isn't easy. Kanjis are pronounced differently and sometimes mean different things compared to Chinese. When I'm trying to read things out loud, I can only read as much as any beginner. When I'm trying to understand things, if I'm lucky I can apply the Chinese meaning and make sense out of it. And finally, least significantly perhaps, some Kanjis are written differently.
    I started gaining some familiarity with Japanese (not started "learning" yet) back in... 2000 I think... when I started watching anime and listening to Japanese music (even though I didn't understand them, for some reason Japanese music appealed to me more than other languages, even my mother language). I wasn't really interested in the language at that time. And then about 6 years later I needed a language course for university. I figured that since I already knew some Japanese words by that time, I'd give the beginner course a try. While I nailed some basic grammar, and with some existing vocabulary knowledge, I started understanding the lines in anime and music. That's how I started. I didn't have time to continue with more Japanese courses, but I now learn on my own by looking up words I don't understand, trying to comprehend more grammar by recognizing speech patterns, and of course by WATCHING MORE ANIME OH YEAH!!
  • Hi everyone!

I'm Yuan-Hao Chiang from Costa Rica (Central America), 23, and I am half-Chinese half-Costarican (can speak Chinese and Spanish fluently). I started Japanese classes back in 2000 and I am still studying it. I have a bachelor's degree on Computer Engineering and started my own video-game company with my brother two years ago.

I won the Outstanding Japanese-Language Student Study Tour 2007 and went to Japan last September, along with participants from 60 countries. I can communicate without a problem but of course, as everyone, I still have a long way ahead :)

Here are my pictures from Japan: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yuanhao_chiang
    You'll see 60 different people from dozens of cultures, pictures from Hiroshima to Osaka to Tokyo, and lots more.

Right now I'm working hard to try and earn a little money and go to Japan for a year or two to practice more Japanese.

Kim: Good luck finding a job! Let us know if you do so that we can follow your example!

How I found Denshi Jisho? I don't remember (probably Google), but have been using it ever since I found it, thanks for all the hard work Kim and if you ever need design, PHP, HTML, or Ajax help let me know :)

bystander: I completely understand how you feel :D

I like animé, programming, video games, piano, languages...

皆さんよろしくお願いします!
  • 皆さん、こんにちは!

みなは元気だかい?

僕の名前はマークです、よるしくお願いします。僕はエジンバラ(スコットランドに)大学の学生だ、また専門は日本語です。三年か四年から日本語を勉強し始めたと思います。アニメや日本の音楽や日本文化が大好きだ、それに去年に東京に行くと思います。五歳になったとき、僕の日本の興味が始めました。それから、十歳なってとき、僕の一番日本語の本を買って、日本語勉強してから。

頑張ってよ、皆さん!
  • Hello Everyone

I'm a native English speaker, and have been self-studying Japanese for about 2 years. I am also a student in Edinburgh, Scotland like Watermelon. I use this site often to help me learn Japanese. I also watch dorama and anime to help me learn since i can't exactly travel to Japan easily. I have been to Japan once, last summer and really loved it. Continuing to learn for my next trip, whenever that is. Hopefully soon.

Thanks to Kim and those who make this site such as success.

Ganbate minasan
  • Howdy Everybody.

I am from Virginia, USA and am currently studying Japanese day in and day out. I am 17 years old, and I guess you could say I am in the midst of a Japanese learning episode that is seemingly neverending. I would say I am in a Beginner-Intermediate phase of learning. It may be tough, but I enjoy it. I am also an avid Video Game fan and have been since I was 2. My friends tell me that I'm a bit of a video game historian, always knowing the story behind everything. With that said, this is part of my reasoning for learning Japanese. I plan on learning it in hopes of someday working for some big name developer, that way I can help localize games for American releases. Of course that is my dream job. In the meantime, I am just learning to better myself. I like to collect retro Japanese games (e.g. famicom, super famicom) and knowing what is being said in-game is crucial. I also enjoy anime like many of you here. Fullmetal Alchemist is my fave. Oh yeah, and I would love to go to Japan! (another main reason) I've always wanted to go island hopping in the Ryukyu area. My other hobbies include sailing, practicing Savate, writing, baseball, and other various beach bum activities.

I really like this site very much. The people at this forum seem so willing to help and are always so corteous.

-Kuvio
  • Hi minna-san!

I'm american and i'm quite obsessed with the japanese language and culture! ^^ Me and my frineds are SUPER otakus and its very fun, actually. i started to teach myself japanese (I'm acually quite good now....^///^) abou t 2 years ago. I used the internet and watched ALOT of shows and anime to help with my pronuonciation and what not. I hope to keep going with my studies and actually get real teaching. I have a teacher at school who teaches me stuff but she's my french teacher who took classes in college. What i've taught myself is writing and reading kana...some of it i can't understand very well...but i know some counters and some of the particles...which is WAY fun!!

Manga and games are my past time and i really enjoy roleplaying! I've been using Dnshi jisho for while now.....i think i found it when i was first getting started!

But, anyways...thats enough! Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!
  • Welcome everyone! Very fun to read your stories about your interests in Japan.

Keem 'em coming! :)
  • 僕はJeroenでんな。オランダ人でんな。 Although technically it's not quite correct since Holland are only 2 provinces of this country we call The Netherlands (and the other 10 hate being equated to people from Holland ;)).

I might be more in line with Kim's interest in Japan on the linguistic level. Right now I am working on two proposals for Unicode that concern カタカナと変体仮名。 Also next to that I am working on http://www.rangaku.org/ which is going to be a site similar to Denshi Jisho, but focused on 日本語<>オランダ語。 I have been emailing a bit with Kim in the past about it. Over 400 years of relationships between the two countries and the only thing we have to show for it is Kodansha's オランダ語 to 日本語 辞典。

Contrary to Kim though, I own a Canon Wordtank G55, wonderful little gizmo aside from the obligatory opening and closing smile. Also contrary to Kim I am more of a Python guy rather than Perl. ;)

My interest in Japan started at the tender age of 5 or so, never been there, but I had a love for Japan. Go figure. By now I have been there three times, I have had a Japanese girlfriend for 2,5 years -- which unfortunately failed -- and will most likely have another Japanese girlfriend again if things go the way they go. :)
    I've also practised 柔道 and 剣道 in the past and am a buddhist.

Oh, and I love 関西弁 as might be evident from some of my constructions... ^^ (Good thing my potential girlfriend comes from 大阪 and loves 関西弁... *phew* ^^; )

--Jeroen
  • Herregud vad förvånad jag blev när jag såg att admin är svensk och jag använt sidan för över ett halvår. :P
    Lite kul. ^^

You other guys don't have to know what that means. :O

My Story
    I'm a swedish teenager, turning 15 in 15 days now. As everyone else also seem to, I program and make websites. I can program with html, xhtml, css, php, mysql, javascript and ajax. I also know a little of every other coding language there is... @_@
    At least from vbscript, asp, asp.net, and also some oo languages such as perl and ruby. Learning more of ror (ruby on rails, or rails) when I get a chance too.
    I also draw manga (pretty good, too) and run Onsen Studio (www.onsen-studio.com) which is a swedish manga art studio. I also run the swedish hangout place for otakus and japan-interested people, Hissatsu.se. Though, the forums seems to be having some problems right now - but it's getting fixed!
    If you want to know more, just ask me. ^^
  • Too bad. Jag talar lite svenska. :P
  • Maybe you should sticky this for a while?
  • Wow Rukishou, you say you are only 14? I feel unfufilled now. I took a stab at programming for awhile and realized it just wasn't for me. I also do a lot of drawing (mostly pixel art). I love making sprites.
  • Yeah, it's fun pixling and creating games, too. :P
    (Yeah, but I'm overbusy... Not really, but I have at elast a few hundred projects active at a time and I always have four times at a time... or something to that affect..)
  • Posted By: Rukishou
    [p]Maybe you should sticky this for a while?[/p][span class=CommentSignature]~Fumoffu![/span]

Yep, makes sense!
  • Great. And yeah, welcome everybody~!
  • Hello everyone. My name is Tobias and I'm a 21 year old Swede. I have been interested in Japan for as long as I can remeber... as a kid it was all about samurai and ninjas, then at about 13 I started to watch anime, which led to a more direct interest in Japan. At about 18, i decided I wanted to learn japanese for real, but at first I simply trained some kanji and easy phrases online. In January 2007, I moved to Tokyo for 1 year and studied japanese at a language institute. December that year I took the japanese language proficiency test for my first time, and passes the 2nd grade. Now I'm back in Sweden and while I don't study japanese "for real" anymore, I still keep training by various means, and I hope to take JLPT1 this or next year.

I plan to move back to Japan in a few years, possibly working there. (Preferably at a Swedish company situated there, I'd hate to work as a japanese office worker.)
  • You have got to tell me how you made it to Japan! Or at least if you were under 20 at the time... :P
  • Posted By: Rukishou
    [p]You have got to tell me how you made it to Japan! Or at least if you were under 20 at the time... :P[/p][span class=CommentSignature]~Fumoffu![/span]

Not hard if you're Swedish. Since we're a socialist country, not only is education free, we get money for studying. We have a goverment agency called CSN which lets us loan TONS of money for educational purposes. You simply apply for the language school, apply for student aid and you're done. If you ever go to Tokyo, go to the school ISI language school in Shin-Ookubo and you'll see what I'm talking about. They have over 100 swedish students, like 90% of them below 25 years old.
  • O - M - G!!!!

Thank god I'm swedish! (I haven't ever said so in my life before... O_O)
  • Posted By: Tobberoth
    [p]December that year I took the japanese language proficiency test for my first time, and passes the 2nd grade.[/p]

That's confusing. Are you saying you passed sankyuu or nikyuu?
  • Posted By: asmodai
    [quote]
    Posted By: Tobberoth
    [p]December that year I took the japanese language proficiency test for my first time, and passes the 2nd grade.[/p]
    [p]That's confusing. Are you saying you passed sankyuu or nikyuu?[/p][span class=CommentSignature]Yes, I am a bluntly honest type.[/span][/quote]
    I passed 二級.
  • 私はへいりーです。
    オーストラリアからきました。
  • Hello I'm Vamshi ,From India. I'm very much interested in learning Japanese and started learning Japanese from last 24 months , from English and Foreign language university . I have written Level-2 of Japanese Language Proficiency Test and at present i know around 1800 Kanji's . I can help people who are interested in learning Japanese and Kanji too . Even i have some computer knowledge if I'm anyway helpful to improve Site and this forum , I would be most Happy .

- Japanese Help
  • Hello. My name's Dheej and I'm from the sunny UK. Randomly stumbled across the denshi jisho a few weeks back - its been an awesome help with the ol' Japanese. Came to Japan 6 months back with a language school (hmmmm...) that 3 weeks later went bankrupt (and now, miraculously is back) taking any prospects of an early Japanese salary with it.

Luckily I managed to get a job with this small biomed company who are expanding internationally and so need more people (i'm their man!). not sure how long i will be in this sweet country but so far has been an awesome ride. Cheers to you Kim for this dictionary - been a conversation saver at the office a many a times!
  • Bankrupt? Sounds like, *thinks*, Nova? Or at least I think that was the name.
    I remember being on the train to Narita in October when an American asked me if I was a language teacher from that big language school that went bankrupt.
  • I wish I had a story, but I don't, so basicly I'm learning japanese because I'm planning on moving there when I grow up. I heard it safe out there, and I like safety, plus its beutiful too. I found Denshi Jisho and I was pulled in by how easy it was and the kanji really helped me too. I've been learning since November 2007 so I don't know much. I hope that I can learn alot here. So far I know all hiragana, katakana, and 1st and 2nd grade kanji. Awesome site by the way. Nice to meet you all :)

P.S. I'm 14 and live in GA, USA
  • 皆さん、
    こんにちは。
    私の名前は中川アレシャンドレです。ブラジルに住んでいます。
    日系人だから、少し日本語を話せます。まだ、勉強しています。
    もし、だれか日本のいろいろなまのがすきだったら仲間をしようか。
    よろしく!
    Hi everybody.
    Hope you are well.
    My name is Nakagawa Alexandre and I'm living in Brazil. As I'm a Nikkey (japanese descendent),
    I can speak a little japanese. But I'm still studying.
    I would like to make friendships with people interested in Japan.
    Regards.
    Oi pessoal!
    Espero que todos estejam bem.
    Meu nome é Alexandre Nakagawa e moro atualmente no Brasil.
    Por ser Nikkey (descendente de japoneses) posso falar um pouco de japonês. Porém, estou ainda estudando.
    Gostaria de fazer amizades com pessoas que possuam interesse no Japão.
    Abraços.
  • Hello, I hope you don't mind but I don't really want to reveal my real name on this. >w<;<br />I'm one-quarter Japanese and still studying about the language.
    I hope you don't mind if I'm just using this to ask questions about Japanese and other things.
    Thanks for the help ~ :3
  • @isshoni: no need for your real name.

@Alenak: Ola! Tudo bem. Voce tudo bem tambem? (I still need to set up proper dead keys for accents and my Japanese input method. T_T)
  • Hey,

I'm from Australia and am in year 12. Making me almost 18.

I've been to this site quite a bit for help, and only noticed the forum today...

I've got no idea how to write in japanese on here...and i hope i can get some help on some things i need help with.

i'm a huge fan of basketball

Thats just a short intro...

-Aj
  • Hello,

My name is Yizhen, I'm Chinese/Taiwanese but I can't write Chinese/kanji quite well.
    I use to self study Japanese back in 6th grade, but self study didn't work for me and neither did community programs work.
    But I'm now learning it in Highschool which is a lot better and one of my favourite classes.

This site is extremely well made and very helpful, like AJ, I didn't realize that it had a forum until today.

Nice to meet you all!
  • Posted By: Aj
    [p]I've got no idea how to write in japanese on here...and i hope i can get some help on some things i need help with.[/p]

It totally depends on what kind of operating system you have/use. We would need to know that first.
  • Hi, I'm also from Australia. I've been studying Japanese for 4 yrs now but am still not very good. I'm a huge anime fan and i guess started to become interested in more of the Japanese culture after being exposed to it. I found this site after seeing one of my friends use it's dictionary and the people on here seem very nice! The idea of a community working together to better their Japanese really appeals to me. So, nice to meet you all! And lets do our best!
  • I'm English. I lived in Japan for 6 years, teaching English to various age groups.

日本に行く前にあまり勉強しなくて、日本では毎日日本語を使って、勉強になりました。イギリスに帰っても、日本語をまだ使っていますのでDenshi Jishoはとても便利です。
  • Hi everyone. My name is Emily (obviously) and I live in the USA. I'm currently in my 3rd quarter of Japanese at my college, so I'm not too good yet, but I think I'm at a good beginner level right now. I'm studying Japanese because of many reasons, first off I love languages, history and culture (not just of Japan) and wish to learn Chinese and German after I learn Japanese. I'm also a bit of a nerd in that I like manga and some anime (mostly like manga more though) but I'm not one of those annoying otaku you come across a lot. はじめまして。

エミリー

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion