Toriaizu - とりあいず
  • Hi,
    I have heard many Japanese people using this word.
    I tried to find it in the jisho and translation web sites but no result.

I am not sure if I am writing it properly.

Please comment if you know the meaning of this word.

Regards
  • It's とりあえず toriaezu. Denshi Jisho gives the meaning "at once; first of all; for the time being; for now ".
  • ありがとうございました! :)
  • I had (have) the same problem. あえ and あい sound basically the same when people talk fast.
    Kids often misspell words like that too, though if they can say it, technically they should be able to spell it since
    hiragana is a largely immutable syllabary that always matches the pronunciation.

The dictionary definition confused me. I've only heard it used in the context of "for now" or "for the time being."
    Also, in the case of ordering a beer at a restaurant "I'll start with a beer" would be
    とりあえずビールお願いします

In my experience, a better word for "at once," "ASAP," or "immediately" is 大至急 (だいしきゅう)
  • I think in certain situation, when とりあえず is used to urge somebody to do something, it may have an 意味 roughly equivalent to "at once". For examples,
    とりあえずこの薬を飲みなさい (First of all, please take the medicine right now) or とりあえずあなたの部屋を片付けてくれ (First of all, tidy up your room right now).

Of course when I say とりあえずビールお願いします or 日本へ留学にいくの前に,とりあえず日本語を勉強すべきだ, it does not mean that I want a beer or I want to learn Japanese immediately.
  • Ah yeah, that makes sense if you think about it really generally. Good analysis! :-D
  • Hmmm I use とりあえず only for 'In the meantime' / 'for the moment'. And for 'First of all use' I use まず / まずは Didnt know one could use toriaezu for first of all.
  • I have a doubt..i think u can help me..
    Is 一応 same as とりあえず? If no, wats d difference between them?
  • I think there is definitely some overlap with とりあえず and 一応
    From my impression, 一応 can also be used as "Just in case." Like you're preparing for something bad or unexpected. If I were going to use とりあえず I fell like I would need to add further explanation.

Like 「とりあえず、ドアを開けっ放しにして下さい。もし寒くなったら、閉めて下さい。」 Leave the door open for now. If you get cold close it.

Today I went to have a prescription filled at a local clinic. It wasn't filled due to a clerical error, so I was hoping I could just go to the reception and get
    the prescription, then go to the pharmacy. I asked if I could just get it and go, but the receptionist said 一応、先生と相談して下さい。
    In this case, I don't think とりあえず would be appropriate. From the way she was talking it sounded more like she wanted to avoid any confusion or additional errors (thus saving her own ass).
    So I would translate this one as "Just in case, please talk to the doctor."

Anyone else have any experiences?
  • I've considered とりあえず more like saying in English, "*Well Anyway,* blahblahblah"

Like "Well Anyway, just leave the door open for now." "Well Anyway, you probably want to see a doctor."

*There's not much more to say on the matter, but you should probably do X.* Like, anyway, do something.

一応 is similar, but I think more "hesitant". "For the moment, It is probably best if you should do X."

"Should we leave the door open in case Ritchie comes in with something big, or should we close it to keep out the draft since he may have left" "For the moment, let's just leave it open for now." Like anyway, *don't* do anything.
  • toriaizu = tonikaku ... aren't they synonymous? arigatou!
  • no they`re not. とりあえず = for the time being とにかく = anyway.
  • あー。うん、分かった。ありがとうね!:)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion