taitou ni naru tame
  • Here is the sentance:
    うーん、対等になる為のリードがあったとも言えますか。

Can anyone help me with translation please?

In order to become equal...?
  • Could you also say there was a lead for the sake of becoming equal? xD
  • lead? You mean "step to the becoming equal"?
  • Uhm.. sorry, I don't think I can translate that one correctly. In what context is this sentence from the beginning? What question is being given?

Hmm, "lead" .. more like: "in the lead", "no 1"
  • Yeah, there's definitely context needed for this translation. Mobergs first translation is what I find it to mean aswell.

Possibly something like:
    "Could it also be said there was a leader in the strive for equality?" (Not as in one leading the effort, but one being the best at it atm)

Without context, it's extremely hard to say.
  • I'd back up the comments that this needs a context. What with the 'tame' I read it slightly differently (though I'm not convinced it was correctly).

Something like 'Could you also say they were given a lead in order to achieve equality?'

I realise I've invented 'they were given' but that's how I read it first of all, from the imagined context.
  • It;s from discussion between authors about two their characters.

1: 今まで2人って立場が対等でなきゃ!みたいなのがあって、ても切那がリードしたっていいんじゃ? みたいな気が。。。

2: どっちかゆーと切那がリードしなくちゃならなかったけど。って感じになりました。 うーん、対等になる為のリードがあったとも言えますか。でもそういう気にしなくなったら本当に対等になったみたいなね。
  • I'm a bit shaky on informal Japanese, but I think I'd translate something like this...

1: Up to now, the two of them had to be equal. Or something like that, but was it OK if 切那 took the lead? (I get) that kind of feeling...
    2: Whichever way you look at it, 切那 had to take the lead. I started feeling that way. Could you say he/she had a lead in order to become equal? But that feeling's gone, and now they really seem to be equal.

The English is pretty clumsy I know, but that's the general idea. There may well be some mistakes in there though.
  • Posted By: Richard
    [p]I'm a bit shaky on informal Japanese, but I think I'd translate something like this...[/p][p]1: Up to now, the two of them had to be equal. Or something like that, but was it OK if 切那 took the lead? (I get) that kind of feeling...
    2: Whichever way you look at it, 切那 had to take the lead. I started feeling that way. Could you say he/she had a lead in order to become equal? But that feeling's gone, and now they really seem to be equal.[/p][p]The English is pretty clumsy I know, but that's the general idea. There may well be some mistakes in there though.[/p]

I'd say this translation is really good. It's hard to translate because even with this amount of context, it isn't clear how they mean one was in the lead, and that's why the english translation looks sort of random, especially when you add the fact that informal japanese ignores some grammatical rules, so you can't make out 100% of the time what they are referring to.

I'd like to ask what character? I guess 切那 is read Setsuna, but there are tons of famous setsuna characters, usually spelled 刹那 ^^.
  • Well, "he had a lead in order to become equal" - isn't it a bit inconsistently? Become equal means no one has a lead. 0_0

"But that feeling's gone" - shouldn't it be "if/when that feeling gone" (there is ら in the end of phrase).
  • Posted By: aniga
    [p]Well, "he had a lead in order to become equal" - isn't it a bit inconsistently? Become equal means no one has a lead. 0_0[/p][p]"But that feeling's gone" - shouldn't it be "if/when that feeling gone" (there is ら in the end of phrase).[/p]

It's completely dependant on context. Maybe the two characters had different amounts of time spent on them in the book or whatever, and for them to become equal, the other character had to be the lead in the previous story arc etc. It's very hard to say without knowing what they are talking about.

-tara ending does often imply "if", but not always. Since it's followed by -ta form, it can't really be if. "if the feeling is gone he became", you can't really mix a conditional and preteritum. I'd say the best translation would be "once that feeling was gone/removed/erased...".
  • Hmmm, yap, I guess it really can't be if in this case. Thank's for pointing this to me!
    I just found similar example in jisho
    (私は大人になったら車を買うつもりだった。 I intended to buy a car when I come of age. )

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion