'[na-adj]なのよ' at the end of a sentence
  • For sentences like this one: 無理なものは無理なのよ (What's impossible is impossible), is it '無理な' (na-adjective) or 'なの' (copula) being connected? I'm quite confused because since it was a girl who said this, and since なの is a feminine copula, I'm unsure as to which particles belong to which word.
  • 無理+な+もの(Noun) は 無理+な+のよ
    When you modify a noun with a な adjective, you need to add な. The last you could just say 無理だ. The の adds extra emphasis, but you also treat it like a noun and add the な.

You could also say (with the same meaning): 無理なものは無理なんだ。
  • Oh, I see, thanks!

Though, if you nominalize 無理な what would it mean? :o
  • Shooting from the hip here, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

When you nominalize an adjective (い-adj or な-adj) all you're doing is making it a noun. So in our case, if we take 無理な (impossible) and nominalize we'll have:

無理な (impossible)+の (nominalizer) = 無理なの (the impossible / impossible one / impossible something)

Hope this helps.
  • //For sentences like this one: 無理なものは無理なのよ (What's impossible is impossible), is it '無理な' (na-adjective) or 'なの' (copula) being connected?//

It's the second of these - 'なの' (copula) being connected.

You can do the same with い adjectives, e.g. いいなのよ / 忙しいなのよ / かっこいいなのよ / かわいいなのよ.
  • "な" is a particle by adding of which you can make an adjective from a noun:
    無理な "impossible" from 無理 "impossibility";
    多忙な "busy" from 多忙 "busyness" (not "business")

In the same way, "なのよ" is always added to nouns; it cannot be added to adjectives.
    So you can't say "いいなのよ" because "いい" is an adjective.

You can say instead:
    いいのよ / 忙しいのよ / かっこいいのよ / かわいいのよ
  • Roomy is correct. It should be noted that のよ is quite feminine, and a guy should probably use のだ instead.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion