Sentence translation help
  • Hi, I'd really appreciate it if someone could translate the base of this sentence for me: 'I have to [verb], you know, since [name] is.'

I'm not sure how to translate the 'since [name] is' part.

If something more specific is easier to translate, 'I have to do my best, you know, since Alice is.' will do.

Thank you very much!
  • I'd probably say

僕も頑張らなくてはいけないよね、アリスが頑張っている上は。

No guarantees of course. From the JLPT2 grammar points list:

http://i48.tinypic.com/24qstwg.png
  • Hmm, so the first part of the translation you've done means 'I can't not do my best, you know,'?

I'm curious as to why you used 頑張っている for the second part. Doesn't ている indicate that something is become done at this exact moment? Because by 'since Alice is doing her best', I meant that she /will/ do her best on whatever comes, just not at that exact moment... (Am I making sense here? ^^")
  • ~なくていけない should be better translated as must as opposed to not not. In terms of grammar, there are many ways you can express it. Your basic sentence is "[Action], [Utterance], [Reason]". Any grammar point for expressing a reason can be used.

And as for the ている, is Alice not doing a her best now? Only in the future? Like, we have a test tomorrow, so Alice will do her best on the test. Or are you talking about in life, like habits. If it's the latter, then you would use the present continuous because she has/is/will do her best.
  • As Aodh said, なくてはいけない may literally be "can't not", but it's fine to translate it as "must". Alternatively, you can use なくてはならない - it's the same.

Posted By: Mirukufy
    [p]Hmm, so the first part of the translation you've done means 'I can't not do my best, you know,'?[/p][p]I'm curious as to why you used 頑張っている for the second part. Doesn't ている indicate that something is become done at this exact moment? Because by 'since Alice is doing her best', I meant that she /will/ do her best on whatever comes, just not at that exact moment... (Am I making sense here? ^^")[/p]

ている doesn't necessarily mean that something's being done at this exact moment. For example, you right now can say 日本語を勉強している, even if you're not at this exact moment. It's the same as English - "I'm studying Japanese" doesn't necessarily mean that I'm sitting here reading out of a textbook at this moment. It just means that habitually it's something I'm doing.

I did interpret your sentence as "Alice is doing her best at this exact moment" though, so if you want it to mean that she's going to do so (but isn't right now), then you can change it to 頑張る.
  • Oh, I see. In that case, I guess 頑張っている would be right.

So then, in Japanese, there's no equivalent for 'since [name] is' - you have to be specific and say the verb twice?
  • My opinion, don't try to translate a sentence in English, learn the grammar that's needed. i.e. Stop thinking 'since [name] is' and start using the grammar which means since or because. Not all sentences and nuances are created equal. This will free you up to use other vocabulary.

せいこさんはいつも一所懸命なので、僕もがんばります。 Since Seiko is working hard everyday, I too will do my best.
  • First, I strongly recommend the Sentence function of the jisho website. Just type “do my best”, you will get a lot of examplees.

Japanese has 2 ways to express obligation. One is positive form, such as ものだ, ことだ, べきだ. There are subtle differences of usage.

学生は先生を尊敬するものだ. Students ought to respect the teacher.
    明日の試験に今晚勉強することだ. Tonight I should work hard for tomorrow’s test.
    自分で謝るべきだ. You/I ought to apologize in person.

More commonly, Japanese people use double negative form, such as なければ/なくては/ないと+ならない/いけない/だめだ

正直でなければならない. You/I must be honest.
    行かなくてはいけない. I have to go.
    気をつけないとだめだ. You/I must be careful.

In casual conversation, the first part of double negative is often shortened and the second part is dropped. Thus, なければならないbecomes なきゃ, なくてはいけないbecomesなくちゃ, ないとだめだbecomesないと. How Japanese people shorten and drop words is something that always amazes me.

正直でなきゃ.
    行かなくちゃ.
    気をつけないと.

As for your second question, you don’t need to repeat the verb. Using “そう”is a good choice.

アリスもそうするんです. or simplyアリスもそうです

The sentence may be translated as:
    全力を尽くすべきですよ (できるだけ頑張らなくてはいけないよ). アリスもそうするんですね(アリスもそうですね).
  • Wow, thanks a million!

Posted By: ccpan
    The sentence may be translated as:
    全力を尽くすべきですよ (できるだけ頑張らなくてはいけないよ). アリスもそうするんですね(アリスもそうですね).

So both what's in the brackets and outside are the same? I don't really understand できるだけ頑張らなくてはいけないよ. ^^"
  • Yes, they are 2 versions for your choice.
    できるだけmeans "as best as one can".
    word by word,
    できるだけ(as best as I can) 頑張ら(work hard) なくてはいけない (have to)よ.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion