A few questions
  • Hi again, I have a few things I'd like to ask.

1) Are って and は/が interchangeable?
    2) Are '[noun]のこと' and '[noun]の方' the same?
    3) When do you use こと after a verb?
    4) What's the difference between でも, けど, けれど, and しかし?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help. ^^
  • 1: って and と are interchangeable for reported speech with the former being more casual.
    2: Mehhh, kinda, both can be used to be indirect about a person or group of people. Their meaning is different but the context of referring to someone indirectly is the same.
    3: When you want to make it a noun, you can also use の instead of こと if you want. I can expand if you want, let me know.
    4: Nothing really, same as using well, however, but, etc. A little variety so you don't keep saying the same thing.
  • Um, for Q1, are って and は/が interchangeable? As in, 彼は誰ですか? and 彼って誰ですか? are the same, aren't they?

Can you expand on Q3 please? It's still kind of confusing for me.

Thank you. ^^
  • No, they are not the same. While they may relate the same feeling, you use って for reported speech while は is the subject marker が is the topic marker.

e.g.1
    Aさん:すごい人だな。
    Bさん:うん。彼は誰ですか? (Who is the guy?)

e.g.2
    Aさん:彼はすごいだね。
    Bさん:彼って誰ですか? (Which guy are you talking about? // Which "guy"?)
    Aさん:たけし君だよ。

The latter refers to what Aさん said as opposed to introducing a new topic or a new person. You couldn't use って in the first example because 彼 was never mentioned.

And as for 3 you have verbs like 話す (to speak), but sometimes you need to make them into nouns for grammar points or just as a noun, 話すこと (a talk). When you talk about experiences, you can't have an action, but you can have a thing, so you would say Vた-Form + ことがある。 (I have Verb-ed.) Or when you talk about things you like, you say ラーメンを食べる「の・こと」が好きです。 There are too many times and situations to list them all, but mainly it turns an action (verb) into an activity (noun).
  • Oh, I see now. Thank you!
  • Posted By: Aodh
    [p]No, they are not the same. While they may relate the same feeling, you use って for reported speech while は is the subject marker が is the topic marker.[/p][p]

I don't know... I often see this:

http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&safe=off&q="の違いって何"&btnG=検索&lr=&aq=f&oq=

It seems here that って is being used interchangeably with は. I often hear people use って without it being reported speech or anything.
  • I guess those are more in the rhetorical sense. The first link was:

「CT」と「MRI」の違いって何?
     前回、いわゆるCTとMRIって、ちょっと違うものだった話をしたけど、覚えてますか?

Since people know that a CT and MRI are different, what is the "difference", kind of idea. Also the second line says there was a conversation about the differences, so it could be just standard reported speech too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion