Speech in my japanese class
  • 私の出身地はVästerås です。Västerås の教会で、スウェデンの王 Erik XIV は埋まる。かれの棺はちょっとちいさすぎるので、足を切り捨てた。それに、たくさん蜚語が始めた。中には、霊になれば、足がないので、かれが歩けない.

Does this sound ok, or is something awfully strange? :P
  • You should probably use 埋まってる as he is currently buried there, uzumaru means he will be buried there in the future.
    I would also use スウェーデンのErik XIV という王が埋まってる instead of the way you wrote it, japanese generally use the -to iu construct when introducing something the listener probably doesn't know about. Why I'm using ga instead of ha, i don't really know, it sounds better IMO.

You're using hajimeta where it should be hajimatta, hajimeta is a transitive verb and should not be used as an intransitive one. As it's written right now, that sentence means "And so, lots of rumors started (something)".

Other than those, I think it sounds good.
  • Okay : )
    I'm not really that good at knowing whether words are transitive or not, so thank's : )
    And yeah, it sounds better with to iu.. but is 埋まってる another way of writing 埋まっている?
  • Posted By: tossegus
    [p]Okay : )
    I'm not really that good at knowing whether words are transitive or not, so thank's : )
    And yeah, it sounds better with to iu.. but is 埋まってる another way of writing 埋まっている?[/p]

Oh yeah, sorry. Young japanese people use -teru insted of -te iru, but it's not really grammatically correct so you probably shouldn't use it in school (if you listen to anime or something however, you'll quickly notice that it's rare to hear japanese people say -te iru nowadays).

I've also heard that uzumaru might not be used when referring to people... but I don't know how a japanese would actually say it, so I can't help you with that one :/
  • Don't you guys use the example sentences on Denshi Jisho? I know you have to be a little cautious, but I typed 'buried' into the sentences page and discovered '埋葬' seems to be the best word for people being buried. Then you look up Erik XIV on wikipedia in English (or Swedish), switch across to Japanese, and you find エリク14世 (世 is pronounced sei) So: Västerås の教会で、スウェデンのエリク14世は埋葬された。 Or even ヴェステロースの教会で、スウェデンのエリク14世は埋葬された。

The second sentence should be passive I think (unless you have a Subject who cut off his feet) so 'ashi ha kirisuterareta' (not sure about the particle). I'm not sure about some other things, like I'd probably use 'uwasa' for 'rumour', but that's probably because I didn't know the word you used.
  • Posted By: Richard
    [p]Don't you guys use the example sentences on Denshi Jisho? I know you have to be a little cautious, but I typed 'buried' into the sentences page and discovered '埋葬' seems to be the best word for people being buried. Then you look up Erik XIV on wikipedia in English (or Swedish), switch across to Japanese, and you find エリク14世 (世 is pronounced sei) So: Västerås の教会で、スウェデンのエリク14世は埋葬された。 Or even ヴェステロースの教会で、スウェデンのエリク14世は埋葬された。[/p][p]The second sentence should be passive I think (unless you have a Subject who cut off his feet) so 'ashi ha kirisuterareta' (not sure about the particle). I'm not sure about some other things, like I'd probably use 'uwasa' for 'rumour', but that's probably because I didn't know the word you used.[/p]

Yeah, my girlfriend also noted uwasa would probably be used by a japanese. Like you, I hadn't heard of the word used so I didn't comment on it though.
  • Posted By: Tobberoth
    [quote]
    Posted By: Richard
    [p]Don't you guys use the example sentences on Denshi Jisho? I know you have to be a little cautious, but I typed 'buried' into the sentences page and discovered '埋葬' seems to be the best word for people being buried. Then you look up Erik XIV on wikipedia in English (or Swedish), switch across to Japanese, and you find エリク14世 (世 is pronounced sei) So: Västerås の教会で、スウェデンのエリク14世は埋葬された。 Or even ヴェステロースの教会で、スウェデンのエリク14世は埋葬された。[/p][p]The second sentence should be passive I think (unless you have a Subject who cut off his feet) so 'ashi ha kirisuterareta' (not sure about the particle). I'm not sure about some other things, like I'd probably use 'uwasa' for 'rumour', but that's probably because I didn't know the word you used.[/p]
    [p]Yeah, my girlfriend also noted uwasa would probably be used by a japanese. Like you, I hadn't heard of the word used so I didn't comment on it though.[/p][/quote]
    Okay, thanks for all the tips, i forgot to check the forum, that's why i haven't written anything since last time..
    About using the katakana for the name on Erik 14, I think it looks better, using the romaji, than writing it in kanas, and it shouldn't matter all that much i think, but does sei mean king then?
    [quote]
    Posted By: Tobberoth
    [quote]
    [p]Yeah, my girlfriend also noted uwasa would probably be used by a japanese. Like you, I hadn't heard of the word used so I didn't comment on it though.[/p][/quote][p]Okay, thanks for all the tips, i forgot to check the forum, that's why i haven't written anything since last time..
    About using the katakana for the name on Erik 14, I think it looks better, using the romaji, than writing it in kanas, and it shouldn't matter all that much i think, but does sei mean king then?[/p][/quote]
    No, sei means generation.
  • Och 返事 är ett namn! :)
  • skoj david ; )
    [quote]
    Posted By: tossegus
    [quote]
    [quote]
    [p]Yeah, my girlfriend also noted uwasa would probably be used by a japanese. Like you, I hadn't heard of the word used so I didn't comment on it though.[/p][/quote][p]Okay, thanks for all the tips, i forgot to check the forum, that's why i haven't written anything since last time..
    About using the katakana for the name on Erik 14, I think it looks better, using the romaji, than writing it in kanas, and it shouldn't matter all that much i think, but does sei mean king then?[/p][/quote][p]No, sei means generation.[/p][/quote]
    so why do you use sei then? it wasn't the whole generation that lost hist legs and was buried, only him ;P
    [quote]
    [quote]
    Posted By: tossegus
    [quote]
    [quote]
    About using the katakana for the name on Erik 14, I think it looks better, using the romaji, than writing it in kanas, and it shouldn't matter all that much i think, but does sei mean king then?[/p][/quote][p]No, sei means generation.[/p][/quote][p]so why do you use sei then? it wasn't the whole generation that lost hist legs and was buried, only him ;P[/p][/quote]

While I'm not the one who recommended it, think about it. It doesn't mean Erik the 14ths generation, it means Erik of the 14th generation. It's an addition to his name. It's understood from context that you mean a king when you're talking about generation number.
  • It's just the standard way that kings and queens' 'numbers' are written in Japanese. For example, エリザベス2世 of the UK, or カール16世グスタフ of Sweden (not sure why you Swedes have the 16th in the middle?) Look at wikipedia:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/エリザベス2世_(イギリス女王)
    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/カール16世グスタフ_(スウェーデン王)

You can find standard translations for all kinds of things that aren't in the dictionary if you go to the Wikipedia page in your favourite language, then switch to Japanese.
  • Oh, and I think of 世 as meaning 'th' (or 'nd' or 'st' as appropriate) in this context.
  • Posted By: Richard
    [p]not sure why you Swedes have the 16th in the middle?[/p]

Because he's the 16th king named Karl, not the 16th king named Karl Gustaf ;)
  • Yeah, moberg explained to me right after i posted the comment, but you learn from your mistakes (hopefully :P)
    i hadn't even thought about the nice touch to wiki, that you can change the language and in that way find useful words : )
    [quote]
    [p]not sure why you Swedes have the 16th in the middle?[/p]
    [p]Because he's the 16th king named Karl, not the 16th king named Karl Gustaf ;)[/p][/quote]

I guess that makes sense. Pardon my ignorance :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion