The 'for' used other than 'for the sake of'
  • I was wondering how you say the 'for' in sentences like "Here's some advice for you" or "She asked for a fork". Is it the same 'for' used in 'for the sake of' (ため) or something else?
  • Ah, I was confused about that one at first.

It kind of depends on the situation.
    I'm no native speaker, I live in Japan and have to gauge my correctness based on people's reaction ("I get it" or "I know what you WANT to say" or "huh???" or "hahahah!")
    Not a lot of people correct the way I speak. :-P They were probably traumatized by all the English classes they had to take in jr. high and high school so they
    think they're saving me trauma :^P That's the way I had to figure it out.

I'd say it like this:
    あなたにアドバイスをあげます。 - I will give you advice (あげる or さしあげる should get the point across that it's "for" someone)
    If you really want to use ため you could probably say あなたのために、アドバイスをあげます。 Then it might sound like "For your betterment" or something.
    Maybe 言ってあげます is more natural. I'm not sure.

Ask for something can be ~を頼む (たのむ)
    In that case I believe you use the particle を instead.
    She asked for a fork -> 彼女はフォークを頼みました。
  • You can't translate on a word by word basis in Japanese. There is no "for" word in Japanese. The に particle is often used in the same sense as for in English though, so that's probably what you need to look up.
  • Does some kind of collection of に corresponding to "for" exist somewhere? I'd love to get my hands on it.

に has so many meanings I just sort of "add stuff to my toolbox" and slowly expand my abilities.
    I think that's just a part of foreign language study anyway, but sometimes you get lucky and there are parallels.
    Even German "für" doesn't always correspond 100% to English "for." I just kind of accepted it and just built up what I could say.
    Just keep studying new stuff and you'll think "ok cool now I can say that," and eventually you'll have all cases of "for" handled.
    And try the "sentences" feature of this website. It is AWESOME!

Everything's a surprise though!
    Sometimes stuff in Japanese randomly corresponds perfectly to English like the term "anal-retentive" hahaha.
  • I would recommend All About The Particles. It gives examples for pretty much all usages of all particles.
  • Here are some examples that にis similar to "for".

酒を飲みに行く. (Go for a drink).
    私には難しすぎる. (Too difficult for me)

I agree that にis probably the most versatile particle. It has so many meanings that you almost cannot find a rule for it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion