Ruby support
  • (Kim, perhaps a separate discussion forum for computer related questions might be useful? Think of various things like how to set up input methods on various OSes, font questions and support, and so on and so on.)

For those of you who want to have Ruby support in your webbrowser, this is what I have working thus far:
    Firefox: XHTML Ruby support addon -- aside from a small visual problem with test 11 all tests pass. It also has a feature to put abbreviations and acronyms' full expanded description on top of the abbrevation and acronym, fully configurable.
    Opera: For version 9.50 (Kestrel) you can create a User Javascript directory and put this ruby.js file in it, next add the directory to the JavaScript Options' User Javascript directory box: -- passes all tests.

To test your support:
    I18N Tests: Ruby markup
  • Interesting. My question is, why? I have never seen a ruby implementation online and I haven't heard of any such ideas from W3C.

EDIT: Checked your link, that's very interesting!
  • You can use a service like http://www.hiragana.jp/ which will take a Japanese site and add ruby markup to the result. It also has a ruby.css which styles the ruby markup in case you have no Ruby support. The best thing is that it allows you to read Japanese text more easily, reading many kanji the way they should be read and focus on the reading, not looking up kanji.
  • This topic made me interested in Ruby again, so I downloaded it and started programming some nice scripts. Good stuff.
  • Hahaha, that Ruby has nothing to do with this Ruby (rubi).

PS: Python is nicer than Ruby. :P
  • Posted By: asmodai
    [p]Hahaha, that Ruby has nothing to do with this Ruby (rubi).[/p][p]PS: Python is nicer than Ruby. :P[/p][span class=CommentSignature]Yes, I am a bluntly honest type.[/span]

How can you say Python is nicer than Ruby when Ruby was made in Japan AND is easier to code in? :P
  • Easier is in the eye of the beholder. And I am not so much of a fanboy to presume that everything that comes out of Japan is automatically better than other things in the world. :P

(PS. Python was started in my country. :P)

(PPS. Although we can both agree we're happy it's neither Perl or PHP. Sorry Kim. :P)
  • Posted By: asmodai
    [p](PPS. Although we can both agree we're happy it's neither Perl or PHP. Sorry Kim. :P)[/p]

Actually I have been using a lot of Ruby lately and have to say that I'm enjoying it a lot. Although I am and will always be a Perl fan.

Did some Python and Java in university, liked neither of them :P

Although in retrospect Python is probably nicer than I give it credit for.
  • Posted By: Kim
    [quote]
    Posted By: asmodai
    [p](PPS. Although we can both agree we're happy it's neither Perl or PHP. Sorry Kim. :P)[/p]
    [p]Actually I have been using a lot of Ruby lately and have to say that I'm enjoying it a lot. Although I am and will always be a Perl fan.[/p][p]Did some Python and Java in university, liked neither of them :P[/p][p]Although in retrospect Python is probably nicer than I give it credit for.[/p][span class=CommentSignature]I make Denshi Jisho.[/span][/quote]

Personally I'm a strong java fan. The main point of Ruby and Python is the easy syntax. Now take the syntax of Ruby, make it slightly more complex and make it 30 times faster. That's Java.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion