Word for human.
  • Ok, now, this has been bugging me for a while now. Actually every time I sit down and watch もののけ姫 or 崖の上のポニョ. In said movies when they refer to humans they say something that to my ears sounds like ying yan. It's not person(人) or people(人々), if anyone knows, help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    -Pay
  • 人間 にんげん ningen

Been a while since I watched Mononoke Hime, but I'm pretty sure that's what they say.
  • ありがとう! Yeah, that sounds right!
  • Person is -jin, when referring to your nationality ? America-jin. nihonjin ( I am am an American person / I am Japanese) Nan nin desu ka?= how many people ? And also Hito amongst others. These are some of the more common and simple. Hito sometimes used in more formal situations but it depends on the specific context and sentence type.
  • There's no point bumping two-year-old threads, especially if you don't even read the question.
  • 人間 This is commonly used in japanese entertainment... They disregard using "person" or ひと (人)Because it's kind of formal ... xD but in reality, people in Japan would rather use 人 I believe... Hope this helps!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion