Is avoiding repetition important?
  • Hello.

So I was wondering about repetition in Japanese and whether like English, it is important to avoid saying the same word or particle too much.

そのときに、7時に、公園に行きました。
    The fact that I used に three times in the above sentence makes me worry that I should be omitting things (I know I don't have any context here) or using へ for 行く. Also not entirely sure if using そのとき with a definite time works.
    So is repetition needed to be avoided?
  • 7時に、公園に行きました is completely normal. I'm not sure what you're trying to add with そのとき, though. Remember that you don't need に with words like "today"/"tomorrow" and when using terms like その時 as a generic "at that time":
    昨日、7時に公演に行きました.
    その時、私はまだ知らなかった

Yes, in some cases repetition is considered bad form or can become ambiguous. However, it's normally fine if the particles are not doing the same thing. e.g. one に to mark time and one に to mark destination is not really repetition, or if in different clauses in the same sentence (e.g. 朝6時に起きて7時に家を出る).
  • That makes sense I guess. I've noticed that native speakers often emphasize the に, の and other particles, and sometimes they repeat the same particle (or word), so that's what made me wonder.

Thanks for the explanation!
  • And that's why they use it for emphasis.

そのときに、7時に、公園に行きました。 therefore is "AND AT THAT (EXACT) TIME, at 7 o'clock, I went to the park"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion