Standard translation for 伝奇?
  • I wonder if there is a standard translation for 伝奇 as the name of a genre. Denshi jisho says 'romance', but it also says 伝奇的 means 'legendary'. I can see from the kanji that 'legendary' is an important part of the meaning. In fact, I feel I'm pretty clear on what it means. How would you translate it into English though?
  • My Canon Wordtank also gives 'a romance'.
    Although the entry is specified more as: 伝奇小説

The Super Daijirin in my Wordtank gives:

①怪奇で幻想的な物語。

Which would say a mystery story. One of my Japanese friends also said mystery story.
  • Isn't romance a fine translation?

If you're wondering, they are talking about the book genre romance, not about love stories.

Here's the definition from dictionary.com:
    "a novel or other prose narrative depicting heroic or marvelous deeds, pageantry, romantic exploits, etc., usually in a historical or imaginary setting."
  • I know the old meaning of the word 'romance', but it's certainly not the primary meaning today (including for books), which makes it unsatisfactorily ambiguous. Take a look at Amazon (.co.uk and .com), Wikipedia, or Askoxford (the Oxford English Dictionary website).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion