Question about subject
  • Hello everyone, I cannot understand in それと比べられて平気って、おい。sentence who is the subject for 平気って ? Speaker ? If the answer is yes, って here means something like とおもわれる ?

Full sentences: 鍔姫:「だから、弟が幼稚園の頃、母に頼まれて、よく風呂にいれていてだな。その、だから見慣れているというか」
    幼稚園の頃……?
    それと比べられて平気って、おい。
    鍔姫:「いや、別に沢山見ているわけではないが! 何もかも平気というわけでもないが……」
    鍔姫:「あ、いや、今は平気だった。別に気分など悪くしてないからな! 断じてしていない!」

As always thank you very much for help !
  • I'm not quite certain, but since there aren't any other replies yet;

Who is the speaker of それと比べられて平気って、おい? Sounds like the thoughts of the person 鍔姫 is talking with?

In this case, you can think of 平気 as referring to the (embarrassing) situation itself. ...which of course involves the two being 平気, but perhaps you shouldn't try too hard to determine a subject. (*)

って、おい: tte is a general quoting particle, or commenting on the situation; and おい is the comment.oi conveys some degree of dissatisfaction. Ultimately, most of the actual meaning resides with それと比べられて平気, while っておい is similar to an emphatic particle expressing the speakers mood.

Now I don't quite understand the situation, but it seems to me that by itself それと比べられて平気って、おい could refer two possible situations:
    - Hey, but when compared to that, this is nothing. [speakers feels the need to point it out because the other party does not think that way]
    - So you're saying it's nothing compared to this... gimme a break. [speaker feels the need to point it out because he feels it is unreasonable the other party could think that way]

Again, both of these interpretation kind of make sense while at the same time they don't... anyway, the essential point as far as meaning is concerned is that the "speaker feels the need to point it out because" (s)he does not quite agree with the aforementioned.

(*) Consider 「○○」って言葉はまだ平気?死語?, another instance where you could locate a subject (=me, as in 平気で居られる), but you might as well think of it as describing the situation. Another, いつまで歯医者に行かなくて平気? could be interpreted as "is it 平気 not to...", which in English describes the situation.
  • Thanks, now this sentence makes sense.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion