Manga Katakane-Kanji mash-up question
  • In most manga that I've read from the RAW, to help better my Japanese, I've noticed certain words that should normally be Katakana include Kanji to form a new word. For example: Fairy Tail should be フェアリーテイル but instead, it adds in 妖精の尻尾 which is exactly Fairy Tail. Some others, like in Bleach have Katakana for Spanish words, but throw the Kanji in to make an entirely new word unrelated to the actual word itself. A few questions: why do they do this? What connection is there from the Katakana and the Kanji (How do they know the Spanish means one word, but the Japanese means something different entirely?) and why not they just use one or the other instead of both?
  • I personally think the author thought that those phrasings are more interesting to some extent.
  • I suppose you are talking about creative furigana usage, such as writing 妖精の尻尾 with フェアリーテイル on top? This is pretty common in fiction, the Tales of series is particularly noteworthy. Reasons include:

- Foreign sounding words sound cool.
    - Kanji add meaning. Would you know what クォーティア is without the accompanying kanji 結晶界?
    - By the same token, some Japanese may understand English, but how many would know enough Spanish?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furigana#Punning_and_double_meaning

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion