how to talk to japanese people.
  • i cannot speak well in japanese language.. i somebody who want to talk to me in japanese language.
  • i'll speak to u ^_^ do you naturally speak english?
  • i'm actually looking for ppl to speak japanese to.
  • You shouldn't talk to foreigners in Japanese. They may make mistakes, have incorrect pronunciation and speak unnaturally. Only speak with real natives to make sure everything you hear is correct and natural so it's safe to mimic. If you want to talk to people over the internet, mixi.jp is great. If you want to speak vocally, use Skype. lang-8 is a site which allows you to write a Japanese blog, and Japanese natives will read it and comment on your text.

All of these options are great for training Japanese output.
  • I stalk *cough* follow Japanese people on twitter; if you're less concerned about pronunciation and more about casual speech across dialects without wanting to feel embarassed about answering or not having time to etc. etc, or bothering them. It's a good way to go - I believe twitter's kind of a hit over there too...
  • I would have to disagree with something Tobberoth said (although his other recommendations are solid!)
    "Only speak with real natives to make sure everything you hear is correct and natural so it's safe to mimic."

this is not entirely accurate as even within japan there are native speakers who do not understand each other.
    it is important to make sure you know where you plan to relocate to (if you do) and focus on that dialect and try to meet people from that region to practice with. you dont want to have to un-learn a country dialect later if you plan to be in a big city where people use different words and expressions (and speak fast as hell)...
    also just like students anywhere else, some are more affluent with speech, vocabulary, etc...
    i wouldnt just go 'mimic' anyone and btw, not really trying to correct you good sir, just my $0.02 worth added from my own experiences. ~cheers
  • Yeah, I would say mimic but be careful. If you're a man and you start speaking like a woman... that's not a good thing. It has taken me a while to figure out
    how to naturally speak like a guy, and not like a neutral "foreign speaker." You just have to observe carefully.

Also, with dialects and accents...
    I live in Tochigi prefecture (SUPER countryside) and the dialect and accent here is basically the laughing stock of Japan.
    It's even mocked in children's manga like Crayon Shin-chan. I have had many conversations where my conversation partner understood everything I said,
    but I had no idea what the hell they were talking about. There are some people where, if you made a recording of their voice and played it back to me, I would have no friggin clue what language it was haha.

I have met a multitude of people who do not speak correct Japanese. Even school teachers. They misuse ごろ and ぐらい when talking about time. They say ぐらい when they refer to an inexact point in time. More common mistakes are using corrupted potential forms like 食べれる instead of 食べられる, and forming a negative conjectural form the same way as a positive. For example 薬が効かなそう instead of 薬が効かなさそう

Those are included in the Nintendo DS 漢字辞典 software quizzes since apparently the problem isn't corrected effectively in grade school. 

I hear many people speak of not being able to understand their grandparents at times. 不思議だなぁ!

If I hop on a train for 1 hour and go to Saitama, none of the Tochigi dialect words will be understood. So there's basically no point in speaking that way, but I need to at least understand all their corrupted forms since I live here. People would probably be surprised to hear me talking like a Japanese hillbilly since I'm obviously not Japanese. The rising and falling intonation in a sentence is so exaggerated and built into Tochigi people's brains, that it even comes out when they try to speak English (so I have yet ANOTHER pronunciation deficiency to correct). They always ask me how to "raise" or "lower" the intonation of an English sentence hahaha Something I've never thought of, and something which doesn't really matter so much in English. Oh well, the less they understand, the more secure my English teaching job is!

I know some Chinese and Filipino people who have lived here for over 10 years. Our only means of communication is Japanese, and their Japanese is probably more standard than the toothless farmers out here, so I don't see any problem with speaking Japanese to them. It's our doorway to friendship ;^)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion