A couple of questions about adjectives
  • Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain the difference between the words 大きい and 大きな is? They're defined the same though the second is listed as an "adj-f"... It's been bugging me for a while (especially since I saw 小さい and 小さな the other day ;))...

I'm also curious about the くて form of い adjectives too. I know it can be used to string multiple adjectives together but I've also seen it used with a verb, eg. 高くて、びっくりしました to mean "I'm surprised it's was so expensive". My guess is this is a explanitory usage of some kind (I guess kind of like 高いからびっくりしました) but I can't find anything about it online anywhere...
  • te form is often used to continue a sentence, it could be seen as a form of "and". takakute bikkuri shimashita. (It was expensive and/so I was surprised. semakute, hairenakatta (It was tight/small and/so I couldn't enter). -te form in general is just used to string things together.

As for 大きい and 大きな, it means more or less the same thing. 大きな is actually short form of a verb not used anymore, おおきなり. Same with 小さな which is short ちひさなり. 大きい and 小さい are broader words however, they can be used in more varied situations because of conjugation etc.
  • Thanks for clearing this up. The て form thing seems I guess kind of obvious now. I knew you could string て form verbs or adjectives together to give a sense of "and" but I didn't even think about it with a mixture of the two :).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion