Kanjilish great firefox add on
  • Check out this great firefox add on. It changes the first letter of English words to its corresponding Kanji.

発tart a 新ew 議iscussion 択elect the category for 当his 議iscussion

So this way you can read English whilst revising Kanji at the same time.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7208
  • Since when is 発 "start"? And 当 "this"?

Seems like a very bad add-on IMO.
  • I've seen the idea before (of replacing initial letters with kanji) and it's a good one. As I remember, it was in a kanji dictionary, and it provided several sentences with about three easily confusable kanji in each. They were all good sentences, but with the price of a whole kanji dictionary (that I didn't need) I didn't buy it.

In this case, the add-on homepage actually admits the add-on is limited in intelligence. It seems to imply that you can edit the kanji though. Anyway, a good idea that doesn't seem to quite work in the form introduced above, but if you're reviewing kanji, rather than meeting them for the first time, you can always invent your own sentences, and use them as an alternative review method.
  • Posted By: Tobberoth
    [p]Since when is 発 "[span id=text-replace-span-350]発tart[/span]"? And 当 "[span id=text-replace-span-378]当his[/span]"?[/p][p]Seems[span id=text-replace-span-367]如ike[/span]a very[span id=text-replace-span-389]凶ad[/span][span id=text-replace-span-384]添dd[/span]-[span id=text-replace-span-410]上n[/span]IMO.[/p]

Well according to the Kanji handbook by Vee David, one of the meanings of 発 is start, and 当 can also mean this.
    There is an option to allow you to change the definitions according to different texts. Kinji dic in context, I have found to be the most accurate. There not 100% accuate all the time, but at least you're getting extra exposureto Kanji.
  • Posted By: alexkx3
    [quote]
    Posted By: Tobberoth
    [p]Since when is 発 "[span id=text-replace-span-350]発tart[/span]"? And 当 "[span id=text-replace-span-378]当his[/span]"?[/p][p]Seems[span id=text-replace-span-367]如ike[/span]a very[span id=text-replace-span-389]凶ad[/span][span id=text-replace-span-384]添dd[/span]-[span id=text-replace-span-410]上n[/span]IMO.[/p]
    [p]Well according to the Kanji handbook by Vee David, one of the meanings of 発 is start, and 当 can also mean this.
    There is an option to allow you to change the definitions according to different texts. Kinji dic in context, I have found to be the most accurate. There not 100% accuate all the time, but at least you're getting extra exposureto Kanji.[/p][/quote]
    You get extra exposure alright, connecting kanji to English keywords and not only that, in English sentences as context. Not all that useful and probably detrimental. If you want exposure to kanji, why not simply read Japanese? Instead of using that script, set Facebook, youtube, wikipedia etc to Japanese. Real exposure in real context.
  • Probably depends on the person but going to a Japanese-only context too early can be demotivating to a lot of people. I know from my own attempts at reading that I find reading something too difficult highly demotivating. If I have to look up more than about three or four words a page just to get the gist of a narrative then I should be reading something easier. Familiar interfaces like Facebook and Youtube are one thing, but I think generally people with less than 1000 kanji are not going to get a lot out of going to Japanese Wikipedia.

The purpose of putting the kanji in English keywords is to make the context easy (unlike Wikipedia). So long as you know that the keyword doesn't tell you everything about the meaning, I don't think it's detrimental. When I was learning kanji I often used English keywords to make the memorisation process quicker, (not in the way described above, but just in the 'Kanji x means y' kind of way). I still think the method above has its merits, though perhaps the execution in the add-on could be better.

I think that if it works for you alex, you should stick with it. If it doesn't, try something else. In my experience of language learning it's essential to be able to analyse which methods work for you.
  • Well I'm thinking more in the lines of: If you aren't good enough at Japanese to read wikipedia, you probably don't need the exposure to those kanji, not to such a degree. Just like a beginner who still hasn't learned basic words like 聞く and 働く shouldn't be learning words like 青少年犯罪 and sentences like 運営の安泰を図る. It's better to focus ones effort where they make a big difference if you know what I mean.
  • My opinion, do what Tobb is suggesting and use more Japanese in context. I also use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/918 which is an inline translator. It's google, so it's not perfect, but if there's a word, kanji or even phase you want to check you can just highlight the words and right-click to get the translation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion