romaji search bug report
  • there is a bug with っち while searching in romaji.
    e.g. when searching for "acchi" it becomes "あcち" instead of "あっち".

ps: absolute great site. many thanks ^^
  • I agree that 'acchi' should work, but in the meantime 'atti' gives you "あっち".
  • Oops. I'll fix that one in the next update*.

*: not promising a release date though ;)
  • I am having troubles with another one - how do I write "づ"?

My best guess is "tzu", but it makes "tず"!?
  • Just as te becomes de, so tsu becomes dzu.
  • In many input engines, dzu doesn't work. In those systems, simply use "du" instead.
  • OK, thank you!

But I'm figuring that it verbally still is pronounced "zu" as written in a dictionary!?
  • Posted By: bagofrom
    [p]OK, thank you![/p][p]But I'm figuring that it verbally still is pronounced "zu" as written in a dictionary!?[/p]

Yes, they're supposed to sound the same.

I sometimes think I can hear a difference between ず and づ, but it's always strenuously denied when I mention it to Japanese people - maybe I'm just imagining it because of the romaji, which of course is one of the many reasons we should try to avoid romaji whenever possible.
  • Posted By: Kim
    [p]Oops. I'll fix that one in the next update*.[/p][p]*: not promising a release date though ;)[/p][span class=CommentSignature]I make Denshi Jisho.[/span]

well, this has been written about a year ago... how about setting a release date? ;)
  • Wow, shame on me.

Yes, I can give a release date. -5 minutes ago. Just pushed it out.

http://jisho.org/words?jap=acchi&eng=&dict=edict (make sure you reload if it still shows as あcち, since it's cached)

Very embarrassing that it would take this long to get around to, considering that it was a 3 line fix: http://github.com/Kimtaro/jisho.org/commit/3aeed013cc572043217b5b8fadcd8e637e7df384

Any supporter of this bug can hereby redeem a consolation beer from me should we ever cross paths :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion