Common terms
  • Kim,

would it make sense when you search on a word to have the common entries score the higher places in the results page?
  • I actually had it like that for a short time, but for some reason that I can't recall now I reverted back to the current behaviour.

However, you're not the first to ask this, so I should probably revisit it and see if I can find a good solution.
  • Sounds good. ^^
  • I've also thought there must be better ways to order results. Sometimes when you put in an English word you get dozens of results, many irrelevant with the keyword buried in the middle of the sentence. For example, when you look for 'Buddhism', even if you only look for common words the first result is Zen and you have to wait for result 6 to get the most obvious translation. This is even more problematic when you're looking for words that aren't common.

Wouldn't it be possible to prioritise single words (if you're looking for a single word), whether that's the only English translation, or there are more than one translation, separated by semi-colons?
  • Richard: Both yes and no. There is other data in the English definition that will throw off sorting in that way. However, once I move to JMdict, a more flexible version of the data, I should be able to do much more intelligent sorting than now.
  • Oh OK. Thanks for everything you've done already, but it's good to hear you're trying to improve things too.
  • hi , all
    I am writing from Turkey .
    Being a Language of Japanese needs grappling a bit really .
    Any links to improve our listening - reading - grammar will in fact be beneficial .
    And also :
    shitsumon tsuite bunpou areba , shitsumonwoshiremasuka ? (is the sentence right regarding grammar rules ?)
    cheers .
    AFMFB
  • Posted By: AFMFB
    [p]hi , all
    I am writing from Turkey .
    Being a Language of Japanese needs grappling a bit really .
    Any links to improve our listening - reading - grammar will in fact be beneficial .
    And also :
    shitsumon tsuite bunpou areba , shitsumonwoshiremasuka ? (is the sentence right regarding grammar rules ?)
    cheers .
    AFMFB[/p]

Your sentence lacks several particles, and even so, I don't understand what you're trying to say. "Regarding question, if there's grammar, can you know question?" is a direct translation.
  • hi , ok .
    I ask you this :
    If any question about grammar , may we ask you for answer ?
    also , Do you know any website for anime - video - songs (maybe chat) etc. (to improve our Japanese Language) ?
    thanks .
    AFMFB
  • If you want to improve your Japanese I'd say that anime, video and songs are the worst to learn from. The sentences are generally NOT what you use in day to day speech, especially not with people whom you have to show repect. Start with books like みんなの日本語 or other textbooks.
  • Posted By: asmodai
    [p]If you want to improve your Japanese I'd say that anime, video and songs are the worst to learn from. The sentences are generally NOT what you use in day to day speech, especially not with people whom you have to show repect. Start with books like みんなの日本語 or other textbooks.[/p][span class=CommentSignature]Yes, I am a bluntly honest type.[/span]

Quoted for truth. Anime, songs and such should be used as a learning platform when you're very proficient at japanese, not before then. I also recommend minna no nihongo, it's a very good series which will teach you all basic japanese in a good way. The books are unfortunately many and expensive, but they are worth it if you're serious about learning japanese.
    [p]hi , ok .
    I ask you this :
    also , Do you know any website for anime - video - songs (maybe chat) etc. (to improve our Japanese Language) ?
    thanks .
    AFMFB[/p]
    I would try something like:
    (bokura wa) bunpou ni tsuite no shitsumon ga areba, (anata(tachi) ni) kikerimasu ka
  • Posted By: Moberg
    [quote]
    Posted By: AFMFB
    [p]hi , ok .
    I ask you this :
    thanks .
    AFMFB[/p]
    [p]I would try something like:
    (bokura wa) bunpou ni tsuite no shitsumon ga areba, (anata(tachi) ni) kikerimasu ka[/p][/quote]
    Kikemasu, not kikerimasu. Otherwise, this is a good translation. I think a japanese would be more prone to writing "anata ni kite mo ii desu ka?" though.
  • hi ,
    thanks for your suggestions .
    I wanna ask sth more .
    I can not find what this kanji means .
    If you know mean of that , please reply immediate .
    that kanji :
    花子

please mean it .
    thanks for help .
    cheers ...
    AFM
  • AFMFB, 花子 is Hanako, the common girl's name. Girls' names often end in 子(ko).
    [p]hi ,
    thanks for your suggestions .
    I wanna ask sth more .
    I can not find what this kanji means .
    If you know mean of that , please reply immediate .
    that kanji :
    花子[/p][p]please mean it .
    thanks for help .
    cheers ...
    AFM[/p]

Richard is right, it's a girls name (Hanako). The meaning of the kanjis are flower and child.
  • hi , all
    grappling with Japanese ,
    there may be many questions waiting for answer .
    KEIGO ... is the most !
    Is a need or obligation sanctioned for Japans ?
    I know it is main rule of grammar and waiting for clues for this subject ,
    may be some suggestions ...
    thanks
    cheers

AFM
  • AFMFB[/p][/quote][p]I would try something like:
    (bokura wa) bunpou ni tsuite no shitsumon ga areba, (anata(tachi) ni) kikerimasu ka[/p][/quote][p]Kikemasu, not kikerimasu. Otherwise, this is a good translation. I think a japanese would be more prone to writing "anata ni kite mo ii desu ka?" though.[/p][/quote]

Sorry, I don't want to be anal, but that should be "kiite".
    While "anata ni" is grammatically correct, I wouldn't bother with it because it's obvious from the context. Also, as the original post started with "hi, all", it would have to be "anatatachi ni".
  • AFMFB[/p][/quote]
    Is a need or obligation sanctioned for Japans ?
    I know it is main rule of grammar and waiting for clues for this subject ,
    may be some suggestions ...
    thanks
    cheers[/p][p]AFM[/p][/quote]

I would like to answer your question, but I'm not sure what you're asking.

I'm impressed that you're writing in English (not your native language) to ask questions about Japanese (also not your native language) - がんばる人ですね!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion