Curious about how to say something
  • When referring to a foreign video that has yet to be subtitled or dubbed, we sometimes call it "raw" in English. I was wondering what the Japanese equivalent of this would be. Would I use one of the many direct translations for raw? Perhaps some negative/passive form of 訳くす?

Please help.
  • I guess it depends on what you need it for. If you just need to discuss non-subtitled stuff, you could probably use something like セリフが無い動画 etc.
  • I wasn't aware of セリフ being used for movie subtitles before now.
    Subbed videos in Japan say 字幕スーパー on the box: 字幕 (jimaku) means subtitles, and I guess スーパー means superimposed.

I would say 字幕なし for a movie/video without subs.

However, if you want to be more specific with the "yet to be" aspect (i.e. it doesn't have subtitles yet, but it will have), then I would say:

まだ字幕を付けていない - (I) haven't put subtitles on yet
    字幕はまだ付けてない - subtitles haven't been put on yet
  • Posted By: roro

Subbed videos in Japan say 字幕スーパー on the box: 字幕 (jimaku) means subtitles, and I guess スーパー means superimposed.[/p][p]I would say 字幕なし for a movie/video without subs.[/p]

You're correct. But RAW as a word itself isn't used because the only time Japanese have to worry about whether or not there are subtitles on a video if it's a foreign language basically. セルフ isn't used for indicating whether or not subtitles are included.
  • セリフ is used for subtitles quite a lot, there's even the word 台詞付け with the definition それぞれの俳優のせりふを記したもの。書き抜き。.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion