Tattoo translation
  • So I got this tattoo that says honour power and loyalty. But what I'm wondering is, when read by someone with some cultural understanding, do the three kanji together have a different meaning? If that makes any sense. Anyway, here's a link to a pic of the tat, and thanks for taking the time to help (or laugh whatever comes first). image
  • No, it doesn't mean anything, it's just 3 kanji in an order.
  • http://jisho.org/kanji/details/尊勢忠

The Honor one appears to be as in a Judge or Nobility (Your Honor) not the concept of Honor. The Power one seems to be force as in military strength, dunno if that's the power you meant. Loyalty appears to be the right meaning, it's just never written alone. No combination means anything.
  • Posted By: sconning
    [p]http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E5%B0%8A%E5%8B%A2%E5%BF%A0[/p][p]The Honor one appears to be as in a Judge or Nobility (Your Honor) not the concept of Honor. The Power one seems to be force as in military strength, dunno if that's the power you meant. Loyalty appears to be the right meaning, it's just never written alone. No combination means anything.[/p]

Revere is a better keyword for that kanji, honor is a bit vague. The power one is just force in general, physical force.
  • It's difficult to say how a native speaker would react to these kanji but for me '尊' brings to mind respect, '勢' energy, and '忠' loyalty. I can't speak definitively, but I think it's a bit premature to say that any kanji are 'never written alone'. I'm pretty sure there's some tradition in Asia involving writing single characters on scrolls.
  • As noted they don't particularly mean anything together, though from a Google search, '尊勢' appears to have been used as a name at least once. It's quite common for Japanese given names to involve combinations of positive characteristics.
  • Posted By: Richard
    [p]It's difficult to say how a native speaker would react to these kanji but for me '尊' brings to mind respect, '勢' energy, and '忠' loyalty. I can't speak definitively, but I think it's a bit premature to say that any kanji are 'never written alone'. I'm pretty sure there's some tradition in Asia involving writing single characters on scrolls.[/p]

Maybe in Chinese, looked at the dictionary here and it always appears in a combination. In terms of Japanese they don't seem to be separate. Just like power, energy is a pretty vague idea in English with a lot of meaning. Tobberoth's interpretations seem to be good to how it's used in combination. Power as in a physical force, but not strength. As for the names, I agree that they might appear, but the OP was asking if there was a meaning from the combination. I have a student whose name uses the kanji's for beautiful and picture (えみ ・ 絵美). And she says her name has no meaning despite this, and she also said her parents don't think it has a meaning either.
  • Such questions are even better served @ http://www.hanzismatter.com/ -- they have a long history of tattoo decyphering.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion