Japanese Translation Correction Help! (Easy)
  • Hello! I'm current working on translating some elementary Japanese that needs some major fixing.
    If you can kindly help out by fixing my absolutely horrible writing and grammar with hiragana and katana ONLY (I am only a beginner) I would be really grateful. Thank you and I apologize again for the terrible writing.

わたしは ねこが だいすきです。
    こどものとき、小さいのねこ がありました。
    ねこは なまえ が ありません。
    ねこが かわいい と しんせつです。
    ねこ は はいいろ です。
    ねこの いちばん すきの たべもの は さかなです。
    ある日、ねこ が びようき に しんだ。
    私 は とても さびし と かなしかた。
    でも いま 私は さびし と かなしまなかた。

I like cats.
    When I was a child I had a small cat.
    The cat doesn’t have a name.
    The cat is cute and very kind.
    The cat was gray.
    The cat’s favorite food is fish.
    One day the cat got sick and died.
    I was very lonely and sad.
    But I am not sad or lonely anymore.
  • こどものとき、小さいのねこ がありました。-> こどものときに 小さいねこ がありました。「小さい」 is an i-adjective, so it doesn't need 「の」, only nouns need that.
    ねこは なまえ が ありません。->ねこは なまえ が ありませんでした。past tense is more suitable here, as the cat dies later, but if you wanted to make it in present tense then it's fine
    ねこが かわいい と しんせつです。->ねこは(you describe the cat, so は is more suitable here) かわいくてしんせつでした。i-adjectives don't use 「と」 to combine with other adjectives, only nouns do, i-adjectives use 「くて」
    ねこ は はいいろ です。->ねこ は はいいろ でした。
    ねこの いちばん すきの たべもの は さかなです。ー>ねこの いちばん すきな たべもの は さかなでした。すき is a na-adjective, so it goes with 「な」
    ある日、ねこ が びようき に しんだ。ー>ある日、ねこ が びようき で しんだ。if you talk about a cause of something you should use 「で」, 「に」 should be used for passive voice, but then the sentence would be: ある日、ねこ が びようき に しなれた。but it sounds weird and I'm not even sure is it correct ;p
    私 は とても さびし と かなしかた。->私 は とても さびしくてかなしかった。「さびしい」 not 「さびし」 and 「かなしい」 not 「かなし」 also 「かなしい」 ー> (past tense) 「かなしかった」
    でも いま 私は さびし と かなしまなかた。->でも 私は もう さびしくなくてかなしくない。now it's supposed to be present tense, also 「もう」 (anymore) fits better to the original sentence, but the version with 「いま」 is also correct, just doesn't fit so well with the original

Anyway keep trying and you'll surely learn Japanese very well in no time. :)
  • If I may, just a few comments:
    To express existence or possession, the verb ある is normally used for non-living, or living but immobile objects and the verb いるis used for living and moving things. For example, people, animals and bugs are いる while flowers, houses and cars are ある. So, I think the second sentence sounds better if you use いる for the cat.
    こどものときに 小さいねこ が いました。
    And the last sentence, you could say でも 私は いまはもう さびしくもかなしくもない。

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion