sakuranbo さくらんぼ
  • "cherries" as a word gives only the katakana for American Bing cherries and not also the hiragana of さくらんぼ or sakuranbo

Am I mistaken in what I find in my search at jisho.org ?

さくら of course is "cherry" as in the tree, Prunus serrulata, which is so much in bloom at about this time in Japan and Washington, D.C. and starting now in Boston, I imagine ( as I recall from Wellesley and Newton areas.)
  • 桜 is sakura, of course.
    For sakuranbo see http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/サクランボ
  • Unlike malus ( apple ), prunus ( prune and cherry) hang as clusters (hence plural ?) even where the flower is single ?
    Interested may want to view the video on the folly of Johnny Appleseed distributing seeds instead of teaching settlers in the Midwest to graft edible fruit varieties onto hardy stems. Every apple ovary contains seeds bearing any part the whole range of the varied apple genome ! Hence the ubiquitous "hard cider" of 19th C. America and the then prevalent alcoholism where potable water was of concern - as most seeded apple trees across the midwest bore inedible apples fit only for cider, but lacking refrigeration ... hard cider was product that prevailed ?
  • I may be wrong here on facts about cherry : sakuranbo appears to be edible varieties in Japan with sakura often an ellipsis for sakura blossoms
    Our delicate local cherry blooms resemble http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cherry_blossoms_in_Vancouver_3_crop.jpg
  • Edict is only a Japanese==>English dictionary, not the other way around. You can try to search for entries containing a certain English word, but the result will most likely end up worse than with a real English==>Japanese dictionary.
    That being said, さくらんぼう has got an entry jisho.org/words?jap=sakuranbo&eng=&dict=edict
  • When looking up English words, use the singular form rather than plural. Searching for "cherry" rather than "cherries" will give you far more results.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion