Could someone translate only the 2 anime characters on the top- Maka and Soul?
  • maka = まか Soul = ソール
  • Maka Albarn = マカ・アルバーン
    Soul Eater = ソウル・イーター

Do you need the description translated?
  • Yeah the description was what I wanted translated in the first place. :)
  • ええ?あの、なにをはなしてるの?
  • Every bit of kanji in the yellow box can be translated.
  • Maka shouldn't be in katakana because it is a Japanese name.. Hence, Albarn and Soul Eater is to be written in Katakana because those names weren't in Japanese origins.. But please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite so sure that its correct. By the way, in writing Katakana, adding う to prolong sounds is seldom used.. Katakana usually uses - to emphasize long sounds..
  • For whatever it's worth, his name is ソウル, not ソール.

死武専の通う鎌職人。真面目な頑張りやで、強大な敵にも真っ向から立ち向かう強さを持つ。テストでは一番を常に目指す優等生。超負けず嫌いで、男らしい一面も持ち合わせている。
    A sickle craftsman who attends the Shibusen. She always works hard, and faces even the strongest enemies frontally. As a hard-working student she always aims for the best results in tests. She really hates to lose, and there's also a masculine side to here.

マカの武器の魔鎌。「99個の人間の魂」と「一個の魔女の魂」を食べて「デスサイズ」になることを目指している。職人を守るためなら死をも恐れない。COOLな男として劣った言動が多いが意外と教養深く、強く優しい心を持つ。
    Maka's blade, the demon sickle. He aims to become the "Death Scythe" by consuming the souls of 99 humans and 1 witch. To protect his meister [lit. "crafter"], he doesn't even fear death. He has a cool attitude and often uses slang, but he is unexpectedly educated and possesses a kind heart.

>Maka shouldn't be in katakana
    But the official spelling is with katakana. It is not really uncommon to see Japanese-sounding names spelled with katakana in games, anime etc, one reason maybe being that it looks more exotic, or to fit with the ladt name Albarn.
  • yea, sounds reasonable.. Though, if we look at it technically it should be in kata.. Anyways, its good as well cause katakana sometimes look's cute.. :))
  • You mean hira, not kata, I suppose. It stands to question why anime and manga production would/should care about technical considerations, but other than that,I guess you're right.
  • There was a period historically where it was quite popular to use katakana for women's names in particular, and it would be perfectly legal to use katakana for a child's name. Another thing you sometimes see is katakana with a kanji ending, e.g. セツ子.

http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/~honkawa/2405.html
    - see here, in the 1910s.

People with Japanese names who are not citizens would normally use katakana as well - e.g. Kristi Yamaguchi is normally referred to as ヤマグチ.
  • At one time (certainly in the early 20th century) katakana was the everyday kana the way hiragana is today, so I imagine that is why girls' names included katakana.

But to return to the question of whether this Maka character should be in hiragana or katakana, as jenlit has pointed out, foreign people with Japanese names have their names written in katakana - here's an example:
    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/サダオ・ムネモリ

Also, just because you learn simple rules about Japanese, it doesn't mean they are necessarily ironclad laws. Japanese is a language, not a mathematical equation.
  • Yea, Its qood to see some Kata names as well. The fact is, I guess it wouldn't be that much good if you will use kata at all times, even kata + Kanji wouldn't be good I supposed. Maybe a mixture of those 3 will do, but Names in kata wouldn’t be bad either. もういい。

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion