Please help explain くるだす?
  • A Japanese friend of mine used this and I'm too embarrassed to ask him directly what it means or how it's anywhere near grammatically correct. I know verb stem + だす, but this boggles me. I got the context of the sentence, but I'd still like to know how and when to use it, and what a literal translation would be.

The exact sentence was 明日サインしてくるだす。We were talking about him signing up for a school trip.

Thank you!
  • It's a typo, just ask him what he meant.
  • I'm not sure exactly what you don't understand. To me the strangest thing about the sentence is dasu for desu, but apparently this is Osaka-ben. Anyway, I'd say the sentence basically means the same thing as 明日サインしてきます. And that *basically* means the same as 明日サインします. Maybe a slight difference in nuance, but I don't think enough to affect the translation.

Is that at all helpful?
  • Louis - I don't think it's a typo. I googled it and it seems to be used quite a bit by others, but there's no explanation of it on Japanese sites because they already know what it means. Haha.

Richard - Oh! It's Osaka-ben? He was just being silly then. I didn't know "dasu" in this case was something other than the verb "dasu". Though not really sure how you can use desu after a verb, either.

Thanks for your input!
  • It's even got a dictionary entry in the 日本国語辞典
    だす
    「でやす」の変化した語
    「です」にあたる断定の助動詞の丁寧語明治以後は大阪地方の方言。

It also that it is derived from であります-->でやんす-->でやす-->だす.
    If adding it directly to a verb strikes you as strange, then so should ~ませんでした.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion