Is the same object being referred to here in both sentences?
  • In the following quote, the guy speaking is talking about a door. He says that before, him and his friend stood on opposite sides of said door.
    俺たちは扉をはさんで立っていたよな。

But in the following sentence, the translation should be something like, "But now we're standing together on this side of it", right?
    けど、今はこうして隣りに立っている

So my question is, is the character speaking referring to the SAME door in both sentences? Or is he just talking about doors in general, as a sort of symbolic idea?

Sorry if my question is worded a bit poorly. Thanks in advance for helping, though.
  • I think the translation of the second sentence should be "But now we're standing next to each other, like this." No reference to a door.
  • Ah, okay, thanks. But I just realized I did word my question a bit wrong.

I meant to ask, when the man does refer to the door in the first sentence, is he talking about the door in the sense that it's one he's already seen before?

In other words, would the first sentence be translated more as,
    "We once stood on opposite sides of THAT door", or,
    "We once stood on opposite sides of A door"?

As in, is he referring to a specific door, or just any old door in general? If you need context to answer more accurately, then I can fill you in.
  • Just by seeing the first sentence, we can't tell if he's talking about a specific door or not. More context please?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion