Help!
  • Hi guys, I've been working on a presentation all day and night. My brain is fried - could really do with some help! Can you let me know if ANY of the following makes sense ..

I need to follow certain structures set out in my textbook (Genki II) so even if i'm not saying thing the most natural way I don't want to change the structure completely unless it makes no sense at all ofcourse ..

今日は、しごとについてはなして、あんないしようと思っています。 Today intend to talk about your job and show you around.

この会社には二百じんもはたらっています。As many as 200 people work at this company

たくさんわかものがあるし、外国に行けるし、 色々なことばが話せるし、 楽しい会社だと思います。
    I think it is an exciting company because there are a lot of young people, you can go overseas and you can speak various languages.

よくとてもにぎやかので、時々ざんぎょうをしなければいけません。It is often very busy so sometimes you will have to work over time.

I have a lot more i'm unsure of but this is at least at start to see how i'm doing ..

thanks!
  • Hi,

Sentence structure seems fine. There are some mistakes though, which I'll point out:

今日は、しごとについてはなして、あんないしようと思っています。
    might seem like nitpicking but: 'はなして' would mean 'talk with you' instead of 'talk to you' . Seeing as how you're going to explain things, it would seem better to use: 'はなしをして' which means "talk to you".

この会社には二百じんもはたらっています。
    it's 200にん and not 'じん'.
    also: はたらく becomes はたらいています and not はたらっています.
    So:
    この会社には200にんもはたらいています。

たくさんわかものがあるし、外国に行けるし、 色々なことばが話せるし、 楽しい会社だと思います。
    rather than たくさんわかもの, わかものがたくさん seems more natural. Also, I've learned to use おおく (多く) when talking about people, not たくさん, but it isn't wrong I think. I hear it often...

When talking about people, one doesn't use ある but いる.
    so:
    わかものがたくさん(or: 多く)いるし

also:
    いろいろな seems unnatural, I'd say いろんな(ことば).

In total:
    わかものがおおくいるし、外国にも行けるし、いろんなことばが話せるし、楽しい会社だと思います。

Lastly:
    よくとてもにぎやかので、時々ざんぎょうをしなければいけません。

とてもにぎやかので
    should be: "なので"

also, にぎやか means 'crowded' rather than busy, so use いそがしい instead, is my suggestion.

When using 'よく・・・' you shouldn't say ’よくとてもいそがしいので' but ’よくとてもいそがしくなるので'

In total:
    よくとてもいそがしくなるので、時々ざんぎょうをしなければいけません。

There are many things which I'd express differently but that doesn't really matter.
    Now the sentences say what you want them to say.

If you have questions, please ask away.
  • Thank you so much, so many sloppy mistakes on my part. Everything you corrected makes complete sense! I'm about to call it a night but if you could tell me your thoughts on the following i'd be really grateful -

This is my really bad attempt at a qualifying noun
    外国に行きにはたらきたい会社員は、がんばってはいけません。今年,五人しかいけません。
    The company employee that wants to go overseas to work, must try hard. This year only 5 people can go.

私はみなさんにせいふくをあげます。着てみておきます。
    I will give everyone a uniform. Please try it on (in preparation).

たいてい、いっしゅうかんに三時間ぐらいしかさんぎょうをしません。
    Usually, each week you will only do about 3 hours over time.

• Sure no problem:

外国に行きにはたらきたい会社員は、がんばってはいけません。今年,五人しかいけません。
    The company employee that wants to go overseas to work, must try hard. This year only 5 people can go.

it shouldn't be 外国に行きにはたらきたい but the other way around 外国ではたらきに行きたい.
    However, "外国ではたらきたい" seems better.

会社員 should not be used here.
    just say 'ひと' or ’かた'.

がんばっていけません。
    is the other way around
    it should be:
    がんばらなくてはなりません。 or がんばらなくてはいけません。

Also, I wouldn't say ’5にんしかいけません.' but just '5にんしかいきません'

私はみなさんにせいふくをあげます。着てみておきます。
    no need to use ’私は' here, just say " みなさんにせいふくをあげます"
    also: 着てみておきます。 should be a 'command' so say:
    着てみておいてください。
    or, even better: 着用(ちゃくよう)しておいてください。

The last sentence seems fine!
  • Thanks again, so many silly mistakes.

I'm wondering if ー
    あんないするみつもりです
    sounds better than ..
    あんないしようと思っています
    to follow on after the today I will talk about your job sentence.

ここには二百にんもはたらいています。
    Is ここには correct or ここで?

あなたは朝ねぼうした時、わたしにでんわしてくでさい。すこし早くきたらどうですか。
    Please ring me when you sleep in. Why don't you come a little early? (to be safe)

こまらないといいですね。
    I hope you do not have difficulty.

That's it, I promise!

• I hope you're still there. Anyway:

あんないしようと思っています
    is perfectly fine.
    つもりwould indicate you 'having the intention to do something' (i.e. in the future). Which doesn't apply here.

ここには二百にんもはたらいています。
    Is ここには correct or ここで?
    Actually, I don't really know. I'd keep it simple and say 'ここは200人もはたらいています。'
    Also, on second thought. つとめています might be a better word to use rather than はたらいています... but that's up to you.

あなたは朝ねぼうした時、わたしにでんわしてくでさい。すこし早くきたらどうですか。
    Please ring me when you sleep in. Why don't you come a little early? (to be safe)

should be:
    もし朝、ねぼうしてしまったら、私に(or まで)電話してください。

also add, "ねんのため" in the last sentence (it means 'to be safe'):
    ねんのため、すこし早くきたらどうですか。

• Thank you!

Just one question regarding isogashii versus nigiyakana (sorry on work computer with no jap keyboard option installed).

I was under the impression isogashii referred to people being busy while nigiyaka related to places. Therefore if saying, it is often busy (referring to the workplace) - is it still ok to use isogashii?

I have changed the below sentence
    外国ではたらきたいひとは, jibundewatashitosoudanshimasu.
    The person/s that wanted to work overseas should consult with me on their own. Does that sound ok?

Also - does this work
    uchi ni kaetta toki, 着てみておいてください
    When you return home, please try it on.
  • Hello,

sorry for late response:

にぎやか always means ' crowded', but also 'lively'. So crowded in a positive way.

I presumed you meant busy as 'stressful, no-time-to-talk busy'. In which case you should use 忙しい.
    いそがしい can also be used for places. "things can get pretty busy here" ’ここは結構忙しくなるときがある'

外国ではたらきたいひとは, jibundewatashitosoudanshimasu.
    Should be:
    外国ではたらきたいひとは私と相談してください。

うちに帰ったとき、着てみておいてください。
    is fine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion