exercise request
  • Hi all,
    I was wondering if any of you could point me to some translation exercises, on the web or as a .pdf file, either way would be good. I can _sort of_ read newspapers, but I'm still having difficulties with the structure of phrases, so I need an English translation to compare between what I understood and what the text really means. And since I'm self taught, there's really no-one to provide that.

If anyone knows where I could find Japanese texts (advanced level) with English translation, help would be really appreciated!

cheers,
    antinomic
  • There are several excellent books from Kodansha that you might want to take a loot at. I was going to write two at first, but it seems like they have expanded the series with more books.

These books take Japanese stories from well-known authors and give you the Japanese text on one page and English translations and explanations on the opposite page. All except Exploring Japanese Literature come with sound recordings of the stories.

I have only read Read Real Japansese Essays: Contemporary Writins by Popular Authors in an older edition than the one available now. I also have Breaking into Japanese Literature - Seven Modern Classics in Parallel but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But reading Read Real Japanese really felt like it gave a boost to my ability to understand Japanese, and I have re-read it several times. Highly recommended!

Breaking into Japanese Literature - Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
    Exploring Japanese Literature - Read Mishima, Tanizaki and Kawabata in the Original
    Read Real Japansese Essays: Contemporary Writins by Popular Authors
    Read Real Japansese Fiction - Short Stories by Contemporary Writers
  • Wow, the description looks great -- exactly what I needed. Thanks a million!
  • One of the best book series to get you going is みんなの日本語, not knowing your level in 日本語 I cannot say anything certain about it, but even though I am self-taught as well みんなの日本語 still fixed some things in my mind. Of course, having a Japanese girlfriend helps. ^^;
  • Hahah so true so true. I'm working on that as we speak!
  • 頑張ってよ。。。 ^^

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion