how do you pronounce the following kaji symbols,please?
  • 出,典,百,科,事,運,営,委,員,募,期,記and日
  • That depends very much on the context they appear in, as every kanji can have several different readings. The kanji details page is made so you can see the details of several kanji at the same time, so this link should give you some info: http://jisho.org/kanji/details/出典百科事運営委員募期記日

However, that requires that you know how to learn hiragana and katakana, as I haven't introduced a romaji feature for that page yet.
  • Then introduce that romaji feature. :3
    Personally I hate romaji, but it's better than nothing and especially for those who may sometimes need it. ^^

Btw, when a topic is resolved, please add some variant of [RESOLVED] to the topic name so everybody knows that they don't have to bother. ;)
  • Posted By: Rukishou
    [p]Then introduce that romaji feature. :3
    Personally I hate romaji, but it's better than nothing and especially for those who may sometimes need it. ^^[/p][p]Btw, when a topic is resolved, please add some variant of [RESOLVED] to the topic name so everybody knows that they don't have to bother. ;)[/p][span class=CommentSignature]~Fumoffu![/span]

Romaji will come, sometime when I feel like it :)

I think saying that a thread is resolved or something similar should be up to the original poster though.
  • Yeah, just hope you feel like it sometime. :P

Uh, actually I was talking to john3_10 about the [RESOLVED] in the topic, but an admin or moderator could of course do it too. ^^
  • Romaji will invite a different number of problems. Will you use Hepburn? Or kunrei-shiki, or perhaps nihon-shiki? Better to just stick to hiragana and katakana with perhaps a link to the English Wikipedia pages for hiragana and katakana. That's my none too subtle opinion.
  • I am not that opposed to romaji actually, since I can see use cases for a dictionary where the user is not a student of Japanese or hasn't reached a kana-reading level of proficiency yet. And since I already have romaji on the word search, I see no reason to withhold it on other pages. I think the module I use produces Hepburn or some similar style.
  • I think it's a good idea to add romaji, but I strongly recommend it is kept to modern internet-style Hepburn. It's important to keep a standard on such things, even if the users are just the few japanese students who can't read kana yet. Modern Hepburn being the biggest standard outside of Japan makes it the best choice IMO.
  • Denshi Jisho uses http://search.cpan.org/~kawasaki/Lingua-JA-Romanize-Japanese-0.23/lib/Lingua/JA/Romanize/Kana.pm to romanize kana. I honestly didn't investigate it very much when I added it, but as far as I can tell it works fine. If you think I should romanize things differently then I'm open to suggestions.
  • Posted By: john3_10
    http://jisho.org/kanji/details/出典百科事運営委員募期記日

I would say it is most common to refer to a kanji by its kun reading or by mentioning a common word that contains the kanji.

For example, if you want to say "He has the kanji 出 tattooed on his arm", you could refer to it as シュツ (shutsu).
    Alternatively, if there are many kanji with the same reading, you can refer to a common word that contains the kanji in question, e.g. 出るの「で」("de" as in "deru").
  • Posted By: roro
    [quote]
    Posted By: john3_10
    [p]http://jisho.org/kanji/details/出典百科事運営委員募期記日[/p]
    [p]I would say it is most common to refer to a kanji by its kun reading or by mentioning a common word that contains the kanji.[/p][p]For example, if you want to say "He has the kanji 出 tattooed on his arm", you could refer to it as シュツ (shutsu).
    Alternatively, if there are many kanji with the same reading, you can refer to a common word that contains the kanji in question, e.g. 出るの「で」("de" as in "deru").[/p][/quote]
    Yeah, in my experience the second way (出るの「で」) is the most common one. It is the simplest one at least, it's more common for people to be able to visualize a part of a word they know than to know all the on'yomi, especially since many kanji share on'yomi.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion