The king rules:_) 王
  • Hi, I am trying to make home videos about Kanji in 5 languages and a word is making some trouble.

王 is the Kanji. Accourding to WWWJDIC the meanings are king and rule. The king is not the problem but the rule is because I cant find something like this in any other languages like French and Spanish. Rule as a word in Japanese is something different and if a try from Japanese to French or Japanese to Spanish nothing really make sence. And now I am looking for help like some more people here:_) But very proud of knowing the Russian meaning of shelfish which is an other topic.
    Thanks for the help if there is any.
  • "Rule as a word in Japanese is something different and if a try from Japanese to French or Japanese to Spanish nothing really make sence."

1. sense*
    2. I don't really understand that. Do you imply that these languages have no word "rule"?
  • Every language has rule as a word:-)

But no connection between 王 and the second meaning if it is a second meaning at all. I was looking for the second meaning and I need to know if rule is a verb or a noun which WWWJDIC not give. My videos should not be like a dictonary more than a guide to learn Kanji in a new way. I would have less problems without giving the meanings but than people would complain about that. So I decided to give one to two meanings in order to show the main words which the Kanji imply. In order to be sure of the meanings I translate both ways. First Japanese to English and than English to Japanese and if this goes well, I take the word. Then Japanese to German and German to Japanese and so on. If all languges go well I translate English and German to Russian. So in this case Japanese to English went not well and the German and the French dictonaries did not give rule as a possible translation so I was confused and still am. Jisho has translated it as a noun but it could be a verb too and this make even more sense (:-) for me.
  • It is kind of strange, because if you take a look at it (http://www.jisho.org/kanji/details/王), it gives you all you want - in French and in Spanish. Kanji is NEVER a verb, as it has to have inflectional ending included. This is just a hint about verbs it might form.

What is more, if you do KNOW something about kanji and Japanese language, there are no problems in guiding people this way. How about you study a little bit more if you want to be a source of knowledge for other people?
  • I think you don't understand how kanji dictionaries work.

Kanji dictionaries give "meanings" derived from the most common compounds. It does not mean that those are the only meanings the kanji can take or that all of those meanings are equally important and common (an example where 王 is only tangentially related to the meaning of the word: 天王星 ). It does not mean that the kanji by itself has that meaning (for example 見 is given an English meaning 'opinion', because of words like 意見, but probably the first meaning most people think of is 'see', because of 見る).

王 by itself does not mean "rule". It means king or ruler. It is a noun.

The kanji dictionary gives "rule" as a possible meaning for the kanji 王. Whether or not 王 by itself is a noun or verb has nothing to do with it. There may be compounds using 王 which are verbs (none come to mind).

If you can't find any common words in which 王 means "rule" then just ignore it.
    Learning a bunch of English (or French, German, Russian, whatever) meanings for a single kanji is a waste of time, unless you learn the words in which it has those meanings.

Going back to 見, this is what the kanjidic file has for it:
    chances;
    hopes;
    idea;
    look at;
    opinion;
    see;
    visible;

Learning those meanings won't help you understand Japanese words that have 見 in them.
  • I do undertand how dictonary works:-)))

And I do not plan to make a new dictonary, this is not my intend. If people want the whole bunch of meanings they should look in a dictonary. I am concentrating on how to learn it in a easy (and pretty different) way and I am really good at this for sure. I do not intend to teach people but to show them a possibility where Kanji is more fun and joy then knowledge. So the knowledge dont guide me:-)) Knoledge you can find everywhere, f.e. on this site.
    And the translation in French and Spanish on the side... hm ok I would not give my opinion to this topic bu I do not always agree with them.

My problem was because of the meanings ruler or rule. With ruler I do not have any problems but some with rule and I found rule at the site where I expeted ruler.

Thank you soo much for your time and for the criticism (always welcome).
  • All I'll say is, read jenlit's post again. He/she has explained why what you're doing doesn't make any sense.

A better thing to do would be to give words containing that kanji, and their meaning. Those "definitions" are just there to give you a flavour of what kind of words that kanji will turn up in. It isn't "this kanji means this". That's not how Japanese works.
  • Yes, I agree. Thank you very much. I already came to the same solution yesterday because of different reasons, I really dont want to make a new dictonary. And the ideas of jen were helpful too. I really thank you guys, especially for the love to the language and to Kanji.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion