Difficulty with Satsuma translation
  • Hello there. This marking is on the bottom of a Satsuma vase, and was having a bit of difficulty translating it. Japan and either a school or studio?? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Photobucket
  • I'm I right by the translation. "fuzan" and Akiyama?? Having some trouble. Please help!!!
  • 大日本 means "Empire of Japan", I can barely read other characters, so I cannot provide you with trustful translation, sorry.
  • My best guess:

大日本

薩广国

實主院

楓山道
  • Thank you both. Louis, would you be able I translate those into English? I'm looking for the artists name as well. Thank you very much
  • I think louis's guess is appropriate, but these compoundings seem to be custom, as they have no equivalents in jisho and google at all, except for 楓山 which stands for "Akiyama" or "Kaedeyama" and 道 stands for "road, way".
  • erm im sorry for going off topic here, but what is a satsuma vase?
  • http://www.countryliving.com/antiques/appraisals/satsuma-vase-0605
    http://www.reference.com/motif/food_and_drinks/japanese-satsuma-vase

And 薩摩 (Satsuma), according to jisho.org, is "an ancient province located in present-day Kagoshima prefecture"
  • 大日本 dai nippon "Empire of Japan"
    薩广国 satsuma no kuni "Province of Satsuma"
    實生*院 xx in "Lord/Temple/Institution XX"
    楓山道**
    實*

*Name unclear: possibly "Mibae", "Isayama", "Saneu", "Mino", "Mio", "Miki", among other possibilities. Modern writing would use 実生. Searching for 実生院 turns up results related to the former Kaga Domain (present-day Ishikawa and Toyama). The large symbol at the bottom is a seal using only the first character of the name.

**I'm not positive about this last Kanji, but if it is this as louis suggests, then it would read either "kaede sandou", "houzandou" or "fuuzandou", literally meaning the "Maple Tree Mountain Road" or "Sweetgum Mountain Road".
  • so what's different between this and any other antique vase? :D
  • Satsuma was once well renowned for its ceramic pottery industry, which was based off of that of Korea, and "Satsuma ware" began to be exported to Europe in the late 19th century through the mid 20th century. What makes it different is essentially the region from where it was made, its reputation, and the historical value.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion