informal question
  • So i've started learning the informal side of japanese language(the short forms, the conjugations, etc).

I've a fair grasp of the whole thing except when making informal question, particularly the ones that are asking nouns. I know that in speech, i can drop the か and raise my intonation; if its written i can use the question mark.

so, for example if i were to ask "Are you Japanese", i'd say ”日本人ですか” in polite form.
    but how do i say this informally? ”日本人だか” doesnt sound right, and if か is dropped its ”日本人だ?” but i dont know whether thats right or not. So is it just ”日本人?” ?
  • If you had an informal conversation, ”日本人だ?” and ”日本人?” would work perfectly. As you noticed, ”日本人だか” doesn't sound right and, actually, I have never seen someone using ~だか, but that's just my personal experience.
  • ah, thank you very much for the answer :D
  • Actually, 日本人だ? is wrong. You can't turn 'だ' into a question.

Instead you could say 日本人なの? or 日本人?

But the above sounds a bit direct, so it might be considered a bit rude.
    Also, honestly, if you don't know whether someone is Japanese or not, I wouldn't start speaking informally, and would just use ですか or でしょうか when asking a question.

The best way in my experience, to ask if someone is Japanese is :
    日本の出身ですか。(or でしょうか)

(出身= しゅっしん = person's origin)

• well, thats why im asking it here.
    moreover, i said "for example if i were to ask" for a sample question, but thanks for the advice though :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion