Could someone make sure this japanese translation is accurate?
  • Sands of mirrored steel, emblazoned by the sun
    Melt down the armors of an unrelenting crusade.
    Though skin is left bare, it does not burn.
    Your nature casts pools of shadow, (your, male form)
    To grant my catharsis (my female form)

日によって飾られたミラー化された鋼の砂、
    容赦十字軍の鎧を溶かす。
    皮膚がむき出しのままにされていますが、それは燃えない。
    あなたの性質は、影のプールをキャスト
    私のカタルシスを付与するには
  • Since you appear to have done it through Google Translate, no, it won't be.
    Basically, poetry is tricky, and Gtranslate struggles even with some plain text, let alone figurative language. There is no automatic translator that produces accurate text.

There are some obvious problems: 容赦 is the opposite of "unrelenting", for example, and キャスト does not mean "cast" as in "cast a shadow".
  • Could you properly translate it for me? This is just what I got off google, i figured it wasn't quite right.
  • No, I'm not that interested in translating random stuff for people on the internet; I just wanted to make sure that you didn't go tattooing automatic translator output on yourself or something.
  • Jenlit was being polite about the translation, but the Google version is complete rubbish. And most translators (including professionals) aren't 100% bilingual so they translate into their native language. This means you really need a Japanese person to translate this into accurate Japanese. But you also need a Japanese person who understands what the English means (and I'm not sure it's very clear even to a native English speaker).

People on this forum do translate random stuff for people on the internet, but not stuff that is almost impossible. Sorry to be blunt, but translation is much more difficult than you seem to think it is.
  • Sorry jeez, just thought I'd ask.
  • And to Richard especially, do you really think you're so much better than me that a simple "no, I can't." or "this is too difficult to translate." wouldn't have sufficed? Sorry if I offended you with my niavity of the Japanese language.
  • Actually, its possible to translate it (and avoid much of the difficulty) by disposing of all the literary devices used in the poem and stripping the words down to their literal meanings:

映り鋼の砂、太陽が飾るを。
    無慈悲な聖戦の鎧を融ける。
    肌は裸にもかかわらず燃えない。
    汝の性は影の池を映る、
    我の瀉下を賜う為に。

... but then again it would defeat the purpose of it being a poem... It would be best to rewrite the poem in a Japanese context so that it can be better understood (and translated seamlessly into the language), otherwise it would be rather abstract at the first glance.
  • Thank You :)
  • Lol @coyfox320, you asked a question you got an answer. Too bad you don't like it and take it so personal.
  • @Object, not sure if you did it on purpose or not (choice of pronouns makes me think maybe you did), but here we have another example of the trouble with translation: dictionaries.

EDICT (the file which this and other sites use), is a Japanese-->English dictionary. That is it's primary use. It's not so good for English--> Japanese, because of the lack of frequency-of-use sorting. If there are example sentences, it's not too bad.

Secondarily, one should not use a word in translation you've never seen before without at least double-checking the meaning/nuance, just as you wouldn't (I hope), open a thesaurus and pick out a random word and use it as if it had the exact same meaning as the original word you looked up.

"Catharsis" from the greek meaning cleansing/purging, and is often used in the sense of emotional purging. Which is presumably how it was intended in the English.
    However, it also has a medical use:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis_(medicine)

瀉下 means "catharsis" in the medical sense, from which we get 瀉下薬.
  • @jenlit
    I agree. Like I said previously, I took everything literally, word for word. Using thesaurus also brings quite a bit of ambiguity since words can be similar, but can have different shades of meaning. Of course, taking it word for word should not be the case if one intended to do it seriously. It was a humble attempt (albeit rather slipshod, now that I look at it) to illustrate that it is possible somehow port the meaning of the poem with some fidelity (its tricky to make it as "beautiful" as the original text). An accurate and "beautiful" translation would, of course, take many revisions.

瀉下 does mean the acceleration of defecation, but it also literally means "to flow/pour out" in the sense of purging or relief (this meaning is, of course, used in literary work). If used figuratively (to maintain fidelity to the original text), I just felt that it could still work along the same lines.

Also, the Greek "Katharsis" (and its English counterpart) can also refer the therapeutic cathartic effect... Languages are contextual, so it is important to interpret in context of the sentence instead of its possible meanings. On an even deeper level, the interpretations of the poem can also be discussed to provide a more accurate translation. Does the author (ignoring our assumptions and interpretations of the poem) really mean diarrhea or purification? If that could be confirmed, the more appropriate word should then be used. In this case of uncertainty, I simply thought that the word "瀉下" which fits the grey area of doubt could be used.
  • Hi everyone, there is no automatic translator that produces accurate text.
    I will have to do to my website too http://www.mdmanandvan.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion